UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2014, 9:22 pm   #1
longneck90
Hexode

Default Fullotone dial glass

Hello to everyone. I am hoping someone can help. I was re-aligning this Fullotone radio today, and suffered a serious disaster. (which could have been avoided if I had removed the glass dial). The radio overbalanced, and the glass got broken, almost in two similar sized pieces. The stations and Meters/Frequency's are printed on the glass. I was wondering if it is possible to make a new dial printing, to attach onto a new glass. Any advice would be very helpful. Cheers for the present. John.
Old 10th Jul 2014, 11:04 pm   #2
davidgem1406
Heptode

Default Re: Fullotone dial glass

Hi John,

I had to make a new dial glass for a GEC some time back because the background paintwork had crazed making the dial unreadable.

The way I produced the replacement is detailed at the following thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75671

It may give you some ideas.
However it will be quite a lot of work to produce the replacement.

The other option is to ask on the forum under sets and parts wanted somebody may have a spare.

Regards
Dave
Old 11th Jul 2014, 1:06 pm   #3
longneck90
Hexode

Hello Dave, Thanks for all your advice contained in tread and extension. I am off now to get a new glass cut. How I am going to get the 'station names' onto it is another problem. If successful, I'll send a tread. All the best. John.
Old 13th Jul 2014, 10:30 am   #4
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi John,

The station information was not actually on the glass, it was printed on a transparency sheet that was then sandwiched between the glass and a sheet of perspex.
2 pieces of glass could be used each half the thickens of the original dependant on the room available.

Dave.
Old 19th Jul 2014, 10:48 am   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

Do not save as JPG for this type of image, save as PNG or as a vector, (ie copy image in Visio and paste direct into word.
JPG is a very poor format for line drawings with only a few colours, but fine if you want true colour and compression artifacts.
Mike
Closed Thread