UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2007, 8:33 am   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smelly danish oil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Contains tounge oil apparently. I didnt think you can mix the two
Tounge? Tung oil?
I use a water-based varnish (but not on radios). That is also milky looking until it dries and has a flammability notice on it, so must contain some oil-based stuff and some sort of emulsifier.
Any of the lighter alcohols will also mix with both water and oils. Meths and IPA, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I used Rustin's Danish oil on the inside of a clock case about four years ago and I can still smell it when I open it for winding. To me it smells quite pleasant, though.
Must try that, Paul.
I suppose that the the smell of Danish Oil, or anything else, will be objectionable to some, and not to others.
Old 19th Jul 2007, 8:55 pm   #22
PaulR
Dekatron

At the risk of going O/T here is a photo of the clock. I applied several coats of Danish oil and cut it back with Brasso. It was in very poor condition before I started. It also still smells of oil if you sniff it closely.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slate clock.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	10983  
Old 20th Jul 2007, 12:19 am   #23
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Looks good , i have my grandparents one , its a little dull but doesnt respond to polishing .From the picture it looks well worth doing . I asume it must soak into the slate ?
Closed Thread