UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:19 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Tandberg series 12 multiplay

Today I thought I would try out a little used feature on this machine, that of copying from one track to another. This is done by connecting the preamp out of the source channel to the line input of the other.

Imagine my surprise when no signal appeared. Even more surprising, the preamp out works fine when connected to an external amp using the same patch lead. Likewise, the line in gives a healthy buzz when the connector is touched.

I tried doign this CH1->CH2 AND vice versa. No joy. No VU meter action either.

I'm at a complete loss why this simple combination is not working. I must have overlooked something simple...Any ideas?!
Old 25th Sep 2020, 11:52 pm   #2
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Tandberg series 12 multiplay

I was thinking perhaps one has to do a bit of trickery as well with the rec-pb switches, like putting the switch for the source channel in the AMP position rather than leaving it in PLAYBACK, because, in the normal case, one would not want to hear the other track being played back when recording in mono.

Checking the manual though, it doesn't seem to be the case, the add-a-track and sound-on-sound chapter explicitly mentions having the source channel on PLAYBACK and the record channel on RECORD. Perhaps worth trying anyway though.

Can't understand why it wouldn't work given your findings with the connectors either.
Closed Thread