UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2009, 6:45 pm   #1
Derminator
Pentode

Default Roberts or Hacker up to 108MHz?

My wife isn't impressed by my lovely Roberts R707 because she can't listen to Heart 106.2 on it. Incidentally, I picked it up in a junk shop for 30quid with new batteries. It's in very clean original condition except for an x shaped crack on the dial that I'm going to leave well alone. Is there an early Roberts or Hacker that goes further up the FM dial?

Cheers all.
Old 25th Feb 2009, 7:13 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts or Hacker up to 108MHz?

There won't be a Hacker, except for the RV14 Mayflower (1961 valve table model) - even the last portables reach only 104MHz or so - or a Roberts set aside from models considerably more recent than the R707. For a comparable set you could try to find a Dynatron Atlantis, big 1966 portable whose scale extends to 107MHz.

Regards,
Paul
Old 25th Feb 2009, 7:19 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...or you could use a tiny and cheap (£10ish) FM modulator like the "Linex" (available on eBay) to re-broadcast the signal from a small modern FM radio on a lower frequency (88Mhz end of the dial), to be picked up by the Roberts

Nick.
Old 25th Feb 2009, 7:25 pm   #4
Derminator
Pentode

Thanks chaps. The Linex seems like a useful stopgap while I hunt down the Dynatron.
Old 25th Feb 2009, 7:28 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Some useful information in this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=108+mhz

The Roberts R25, R600 and R900, Grundig Yacht Boy and Tandberg TP41 are suitable candidates.

Regards, Mick.
Old 25th Feb 2009, 7:29 pm   #6
paulsherwin

You can sometimes tweak the oscillator so that the radio tunes to a slightly higher frequency than that shown on the dial. You will lose the same coverage at the low frequency end but this may not be a problem if your local R2 signal is quite high up or you never listen to R2.

You should leave well alone if you're not sure what you're doing though, as you may mess up the FM alignment. Like Nick I have a Linex (in fact I have two) and can recommend it.

Paul
Old 25th Feb 2009, 8:08 pm   #7
richrussell
Heptode

I've got several handy frequency converters that'll run off 8V-18V dc. They came from Japanese import cars I've had, but have replaced the Japanese radio with a UK one, so no longer need the converter. Very cheap little units about 2cm x 2cm x 1cm in size so easily hidden under the chassis if needed in a radio.
Old 25th Feb 2009, 8:14 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Tell us more, Rich, please.

Nick.
Old 26th Feb 2009, 4:01 pm   #9
richrussell
Heptode

Japanese car radios have a narrower VHF FM broadcast range, 76-90MHz, so the original radio in your 400bhp Japanese supercar will only receive BBC Radio 2. So when they're imported, in addition to converting the speedo from kmph to mph, adding a rear foglight and so on to make it comply with UK laws, most places add a frequency expander to the radio. They just go in line between the aerial and the radio. Now you find all the stations above 90MHz appear at the bottom end of the dial. OK, so the frequency display is meaningless, but at least you can receive the programmes.

They're not expensive - usually under £5 on eBay. If you search for 'japanese import frequency expander' you should find some.

I'll have a look in the garage and see if I've got a spare one if anyone wants it.

Rich
Old 9th Mar 2009, 6:26 pm   #10
Derminator
Pentode

Thanks all. I picked up a Roberts R600 in the end. Needs a bit of work. It'll be my first attempt at a restoration. I'll keep you posted!
Closed Thread