UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:15 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Question What sort of plastic?

Mods, please delete if this is too far O/T, but the contents could well be radio or television related.

I have some white fascia board, several years ago, which I need to prime and undercoat; because of this I need to know what sort of plastic it is.

I have scraped a sliver off and burnt it in a flame to see what happened. It went black and burnt with just a few small sparks; no flame and no apparent smell, then going out.

Any ideas folks? TIA.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:19 pm   #2

Default Re: What sort of plastic?

I would sand it down using 400 grit wet and dry and then almost any primer will stick.

Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:24 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Wow - thanks for that - instant reply! I'll see what everyone else says before I head for Amazon.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:30 pm   #4
Goldie99
Heptode

If you mean fascia board as in roofing, then it's almost certainly a UPVC grade, and could be primed & painted.

It's maybe worth noting however, that if it's indeed a roof fascia board that's 'yellowed', the yellowing would not be just a colour change, but indicative of UV degradation of the plastic over the years. It used to be quite common with the cheaper UPVC grades after a few years, especially those with higher recycle content.

Alan
Old 8th Aug 2020, 4:09 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Alan,

It is indeed a roof fascia, but not yellowed at all, though being probably twenty years old facing the sun.

My question was really what sort of primer and undercoat to use.

Thanks,
Old 8th Aug 2020, 5:18 pm   #6

UPVC, there are "proper" plastic primers that contain a solvent which (slightly) dissolves the substrate. They stick like s**t to a blanket.

Old 8th Aug 2020, 6:09 pm   #7
Ambientnoise
Heptode

A rub down with wet and dry followed by a degreasing is usually needed as the production process sometimes involves lubricants and polish may well be present if it’s a used piece. Standard alkyd primers and paint will stick well, as do the special primers etc of course.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 6:22 pm   #8
BRASSBITS
Hexode

I would try a etching primer as used in the motor trade
Old 8th Aug 2020, 6:48 pm   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi folks,

Thanks to all, I've ordered some brush UPVC primer which will arrive tomorrow, so we're all sorted.
A quick IPA degrease first.

Mods, you may close this thread; thanks.