UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2020, 12:07 am   #1
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Default Can I spray paint on Araldite?

I am about to spray paint a pair of aluminium chassis. I will reinforce some corner joints with Araldite epoxy adhesive. Is it OK to use spray paint on Araldite - has anyone had any experience?
Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:57 am   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: Can I spray paint on Araldite?

I have spayed water-based acrylic primer and final colour coats onto epoxy before with good results. The epoxy had been left for over a week (not by design, I was away) before any painting.

Colin
Old 7th Aug 2020, 2:01 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Before you get to consider the epoxy, have a chosen a primer which is specifically good for aluminium; it helps a lot.

B
Old 7th Aug 2020, 7:44 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As. Bazz says, acid etch primer is best for good adherence to surfaces such as aluminium and galvanised steel and will be fine on epoxy. Also on such things as pitted steel radio chassis on which rust has been removed. U-Pol Acid-8 is excellent (as are other U-Pol products including clear gloss lacquer which I’ve used for ‘woodie’ radios). Halfords sell Acid 8. Not cheap, but it’s a 500 ml can. Might be a bit cheaper elsewhere, but postage makes it dearer than going into Halfords.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...er-741124.html

Hope that helps.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 9:02 am   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Epoxy is one of the resin options for making fibreglass. It's possible to paint fibreglass and I imagine the internet will be able to tell you how (maybe the hard part will be getting the paint to stick to the glass filaments ?). Is epoxy also a component of car body filler ? It's certainly possible to spray paint that.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 7th Aug 2020, 9:53 am   #6
lesmw0sec
Octode

I rescued an 1155 rx from the skip. It had of course been 'improved' over the years by various front panel additions. I stripped the panel, filled the new holes with araldite and repainted in similar manner to the advice given by David. No problems at all.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 10:28 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Two part epoxy like Araldite takes paint without difficulty and the hardened resin itself requires no special treatment in terms of the primer used.

Alan
Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:00 pm   #8
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Thanks everyone for the hints and tips.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:02 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

In the early 1970's I repurposed an old aluminium box from the lab junk drawer to build a power supply for my EL3302. The box had several large holes where pots and toggle switches had been mounted. Following lab practice, I filled them using Araldite ( the 2 hour stuff) , by putting some masking tape over the holes on one side and applying Araldite to the other side, and smoothing down once set. I used car spray paint, grey primer then matt black. Still good more than 45 years later!
Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:19 pm   #10
ionburn
Heptode

I often use paint to colour expoxy when mixing. Never really when it's to be used for it's fixing strength but with filling or non-critical repair tasks.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 2:42 pm   #11
lesmw0sec
Octode

By way of a hint, I have been using 2 part polyester resin for sealing thermite charges. It has the advantage of being pourable, so easy to mix with other material and bonds extremely well to aluminium. When set it can be drilled with ease. Available from :
https://www.mbfg.co.uk/
Closed Thread