UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2019, 7:51 pm   #181
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Hello Aaran,
Thanks for your reply. February will be fine. I will PM you with all my details and you can sort a time that is suitable to yourself.
I'm sure your Dad will find something to amuse himself among my junk! It may be better to set the Hitachi aside until your visit. We don't want the line output transistor to go short circuit and create more faults than the broom heads in 'The Sorcerers Apprentice'. [Disney 1940] PM sent. John.
Old 31st Jan 2019, 8:35 pm   #182
19Seventy7
Octode

I have put it aside, and dug out an old Walkman to keep myself occupied for a little while. As I've said, Toshiba tony is going to have a look on the service manual to see if he can see what the issue is, so that could help us too.

Thanks
Old 1st Feb 2019, 9:38 pm   #183
julie_m
Dekatron

There's nothing really wrong with old books, as long as you're aware that things have moved on since they were written. The underlying principles of analogue television are the same, no matter whether the picture be divided into 405, 525 or 625 lines. Once you have grasped the fundamental concepts, you can generalise from there. And any circuits described in the old books will be nice and simple, because they had not yet developed the more fiendish techniques that would come to be used in modern sets!
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 3:30 am   #184
19Seventy7
Octode

Thats why i wasn’t as keen on getting books that were quite a bit older than the set as things had moved on. Knowing that the tubes themselves change and the chassis and such have changed too, i thought maybe older would be a little more obsolete for me.

At first I could never see myself having a 50s set, I preferred the look of 1960s and 70s sets more. but since being on this forum, i have been drawn to them more than i was. I know for a fact though, if i were to ever get a 50s set, it’d be some time away.

I will try and grab some next time i see some.

Thanks
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:04 pm   #185
19Seventy7
Octode

I would just like to offer all of you a massive thank you! Without your help I wouldn't be where I am now with my TV.

With the help you have all given me, I now have a fully functional Hitachi CTP213.

Resistor R727 was the cause, i received my replacement today, and soldered one in and gave it a test. It cured my set.

Yet again, thank you all so much I cant thank you enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1B6C818-8881-48DD-A4C0-C05D5B197914.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	177818  
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:12 pm   #186
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Fantastic! But resistors don't overheat on their own, so if it failed through overheating, you need to be sure you've also changed whatever drew too much current through it and overheated it. I have lost track of whether the associated caps had been changed. Or whether it failed due to damage or some other reason?
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:19 pm   #187
19Seventy7
Octode

I changed some caps a while back, im hoping that it was them.

Should it fail again, hopefully not. We now know what it was and i have another 9 of the resistors, so even if it’s through trial and error, it’ll get fixed properly.
It was suggested a diode was to blame, but tested okay so im hoping it was the caps.

Thanks
Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:23 am   #188
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Congratulations! I bet you are dead chuffed at getting it going!

As Lucien says though, resistors don’t burn out without a reason, but hopefully you have already changed the cap that may have caused it.

Picture is looking pretty good now

Regards
Lloyd
Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:56 am   #189
Refugee
Dekatron

I would guess that the resistor failed due to several mistakes being made while doing the capacitors.
The repair might not be that tidy but we do at least know what needed to be learned to get the set going again. It should last.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 1:08 am   #190
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you! I sure am chuffed, I wasn’t really expecting much change, but when the snow appeared, I couldn’t have been happier!

Im hoping it was just a cap, or the two i’ve replaced.

The colour on it is brilliant. I have to say, even with a digital source going from HDMI -> SCART -> Coaxial, it looks reasonably good, only smaller text is a bit of an issue to read, but thats fine.

I think the resistor failed before the capacitors, but that could explain it, faulty caps lead to a faulty resistor.

The repair is far from tidy, but it works so im happy.

Thanks
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:44 am   #191
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Imagine the Royal Albert Hall. The last night of the Proms. They start to play Rule Britannia.

The spot light flashes as Aaran walks on wheeling an old Ekco Hawkins Hostess tea trolley upon which is sitting his Hitachi CTP213 followed closely by the ghost of Sir Adrian Boult. The hall irrupts in applause as Britannia fades to be replaced by a recording of Roy Orbison singing 'It's Over'. Floods of tears from everyone as Aaron takes a bow.

Well done Aaran. It's been a long journey but you finally got there. All the best, John.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 2:56 pm   #192
19Seventy7
Octode

I had to laugh at that, i did almost feel like that when i got it working!

Thank you, and it sure has been a long journey, 3 months; give or take.

Thank you again for the help and offers, it’s really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 6th Feb 2019, 5:15 pm   #193
Mikey405
Octode

Well done for your perseverance Aaron. Glad you sorted it out in the end.

Kinds regards.

From Mike
Old 6th Feb 2019, 7:52 pm   #194
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you, its really appreciated.

Im glad I got it working now, too!

Thanks
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:17 pm   #195
JulietMike
Tetrode

Aaron,

If you PM me with your email address I can send you some PDF's of books by G N Patchett which were standard text books for TV servicing courses.

John
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:25 pm   #196
1100 man
Octode

Hi Aaron,
Well done!! 3 months, nearly 200 replies and over 8000 views must be a record for the forum!
I'll miss this thread with all it's twists and turns- it's become part of the furniture on the TV forum!
All credit to you for not giving up on it when at times it must have seemed like a lost cause.

I hope you can now enjoy using it and admire the superb quality Japanese engineering that went into it- that's probably the first repair it's ever needed!

All the best
Nick

Out of interest, did that cure the original 'brighter on one side' fault?

Last edited by 1100 man; 6th Feb 2019 at 10:28 pm. Reason: last line added
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:25 pm   #197
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Congratulations! It made my evening when I saw your 'eureka' picture of your telly working. You persevered and did not give up!

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:50 pm   #198
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietMike View Post
If you PM me with your email address I can send you some PDF's of books by G N Patchett which were standard text books for TV servicing courses.
Still available for download, or perusing on line

https://archive.org/search.php?query...N.+Patchett%22

I suppose I must have studied Patchett at college.
I still have my copy of Geoffrey H Hutson's Colour Television Theory we used in the second year.

Aaron,
I know you are a student, could I ask what you are studying?
Old 7th Feb 2019, 12:28 am   #199
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietMike View Post
Thank you, ill send a PM after this writing this thread! Thank you for that, i really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 7th Feb 2019, 12:34 am   #200
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Hi Aaron,
Well done!! 3 months, nearly 200 replies and over 8000 views must be a record for the forum!
I'll miss this thread with all it's twists and turns- it's become part of the furniture on the TV forum!
All credit to you for not giving up on it when at times it must have seemed like a lost cause.

I hope you can now enjoy using it and admire the superb quality Japanese engineering that went into it- that's probably the first repair it's ever needed!

All the best
Nick

Out of interest, did that cure the original 'brighter on one side' fault?
Thank you! Don’t worry, I highly doubt this’ll be the last you see of me! I did come close to putting it aside (I’d never give up on it, even if it took me 3 years instead of 3 months, just something i couldnt do)

I think it might be the first repair as all the soldering still looks like the original factory solder joints, I’d like to say lets hope its the last, but i enjoyed working on it! I do have to admire it, as i’ve said the quality is brilliant, especially the colours.

And yes it did cure the brighter side! That was a relief too, and it cured the ghosting!

Thanks
Closed Thread