UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2020, 12:17 pm   #1
vitorol
Diode

Default Denon TU-280 cuts out.

Hi. I recently purchased a Denon TU-280 Tuner. I think the tuner does something that is not normal. When in "auto" mode on a weaker radio station, the sound is cut off frequently for 1 or 2 seconds and then comes back. In stations with a strong signal, this does not happen and if it is in manual mode (mono), neither does it. I searched the net and found a user who has a similar Denon who said it was easy to repair. It was necessary to adjust a test point "TP1". I have no idea how to do this. Can someone help me please? Thank you
Old 7th Aug 2020, 8:18 am   #2
percival007
Heptode

Default Re: Denon TU-280 cuts

Depeneding upon how 'weak' the Station is when it cuts out, this I think is normal operation.
Older sets used to 'blend' into Mono as the Signal got weaker eliminating the extraneous noises that could ocurr when a Stereo Decoder is presented with a Weak input Signal.
More modern sets, of which yours is tend to just Mute the Output. Pressing the Mono Button forces the set into Mono, obviously and this masks the Noises from a weaker Signal.

Of course if this happens too early, the set could be out of alignment or indeed faulty. But I have to say I doubt it.
Can you try a better Aerial to improve these Weaker Stations reception?

James.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 9:16 am   #3
vitorol
Diode

Default Re: Denon TU-280 cuts

I will buy a better antenna. I also thought it could be normal but wanted to confirm it before buying the antenna. Yesterday I managed to have 3 radio stations with more signal and the cuts were no longer happening. Thank you!
Old 7th Aug 2020, 10:10 am   #4
paulsherwin

Default Re: Denon TU-280 cuts out.

I agree with James, this is normal behaviour for this and many other FM tuners.
Closed Thread