UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2020, 5:14 pm   #41
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Tape erasure - bulk

I assumed it was like a dealers stamp.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 5:59 pm   #42
barrymagrec
Octode

No, I don`t think so, Tony Costello formed PRECO when Leevers folded , sometime in the early eighties I think. He had previously been a director of Bias electronics producing the BE 1000 tape machine and sold out to Leevers Rich who produced as the Proline 1000. He became Leevers Rich general manager for sometime before the business pretty much ceased. At the end Leevers were mostly producing low temperature metal spray guns to compliment the range of low melting point alloys produced by their then parent company, Mining and Chemical Products.
Old 11th Aug 2020, 7:16 am   #43
brenellic2000
Octode

Leevers-Rich ceased tape-deck production c 1979/80 but decks remained available until c.1982. Deck spares were taken over by Tony's PRECO (Professional Recording Equipment Co). Meanwhile, L-R had become UK agents for Gardner bulk erasers...

Tony was a L-R salesman but when L-R and Bias merged in December 1975, Tony became GM. MCP Electronics (who owned L-R since 1971) showed little real interest in tape decks.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 12:54 pm   #44
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
What are the opinions of those that have actually used the various types of these machines?
I have had a Leevers Rich ER32 for decades, rescued from the skip of a local school. Works like a charm - switch on, place spool on peg, rotate three times slowly, gently lift off and slowly remove from field...job done. Compact, not excessively heavy, I would say about 5-6 kg. I have tried it on videotapes but the plastic shell hampers complete erasure. One day I may try removing the spool and placing it directly in the field. Likewise, chrome cassettes need more time and care in manipulation to be erased.

TBH I rarely use it for cassettes. For those I use an old Panasonic KXT1455 answer machine which has a fast erase function that handles normal and chrome tapes very well!
Old 16th Aug 2020, 10:32 pm   #45
ricard
Octode

Thanks Ben for the appraisal.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 12:08 am   #46
TIMTAPE
Octode

VHS and Beta tapes ARE effectively chrome so a normal eraser will struggle to fully erase them.
Old 26th Aug 2020, 8:12 am   #47
Avinunca
Tetrode

I obtained a Teac E-2A bulk eraser not long ago. I think I paid about £90 - not bad for a NOS item. It seems to do the job well. I have seen them sell for much more. No surprise there as all tape recording gear seems to attract silly money these days.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...eac/e-2a.shtml
Old 26th Aug 2020, 11:07 am   #48
ITAM805
Nonode

Is it beyond the wit of man to construct something that will deep demag without costing a fortune? I ask because I have lots of half inch tapes that I want to sell on but would like to erase first?
Old 26th Aug 2020, 12:02 pm   #49
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Occasionally I have seen ebay lots with used r2r tapes described as "sounds like 60s pop music, unknown group" or similar and they had bidding wars.
On the other hand, I remember at work having a r2r Grundig to repair. The tape with it had what sounded like a WI meeting discussion. The bit I recall is mentioning the name of someone my parents knew well and gossiping about her being of a certain religious group!
So, to erase or not when selling? Depends if any sensitive information on them.

I used to have a rather heavy bulk eraser...somewhere... unless it has been sold.
Not been seen for several years.
Rob
Old 27th Aug 2020, 12:20 am   #50
jamesperrett
Octode

There seems to be a bit of interest in old studio tapes now. There are a few people who have bought them and then had me transfer them to digital so that they can listen to them. One of the tapes I transferred would almost certainly be worth quite a bit of money to a collector as it contained a work in progress version of a very famous track.
Old 27th Aug 2020, 9:53 am   #51
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Tape erasure - bulk

Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I dismantled a microwave oven transformer out of curiosity by grinding away the welded seams.
The laminations were not interleaved, so probably easy to adapt into a possible eraser.
I've removed the HV and filament windings and left the primary in place.
I'll get back to it when I get a free afternoon.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 27th Aug 2020, 10:23 am   #52
Refugee
Dekatron

I used a coil from a 50V shaded pole motor and found that 15 to 20 volts did the job.
I used a set of lams from from an old burned out mains transformer.
It worked well and I still have it.
With the existing coil you will most likely need about 50 to 70 volts.
Closed Thread