UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 14th Oct 2023, 6:58 am   #21
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: 11m band rammed this morning.

The activity between about 20 MHz and 60 MHz in Europe is due to the maximum usable frequency of the F2 layer exceeding 30 MHz and is F2 ionisation mainly caused by solar activity.

Tropospheric ducting is related to the weather and when it occurs it usually affects frequencies above 50 MHz.

In recent weeks we have had both, but the most significant has been enhanced propagation via the F2 layer. See attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	286346  
Ian - G4JQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2023, 9:01 am   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I've mostly been stuck at work while all this has been going on.

Just looked on Hack Green SDR today (Saturday 14th Oct) and the band is already jumping again, on 10 as well as 11. I have an old single-band 10m radio which has hardly seen any use since the 1990s. I think these are the conditions it has been waiting for.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2023, 11:17 am   #23
SteveCG
Nonode

For what it is worth: I've been listening to BBC Radio 3 from Wenvoe on 92.1 Mc/s and have noticed over the last couple of days, shortish duration interference that I assumed was Tropo lift. I've not tried investigating further but I wonder whether this was E/F layer propagation?
SteveCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2023, 11:27 am   #24
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The best resource that I know of for tracking tropospheric propagation is the Hepburn Forecast. This is a direct link to the North West Europe forecast page.

https://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nwe.html

It's not obvious, but if you click or tap on the map itself the forecast advances by, I think, six hours at a time for up to several days ahead.
Old 14th Oct 2023, 11:40 am   #25
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
For what it is worth: I've been listening to BBC Radio 3 from Wenvoe on 92.1 Mc/s and have noticed over the last couple of days, shortish duration interference that I assumed was Tropo lift. I've not tried investigating further but I wonder whether this was E/F layer propagation?
No, that'll just be tropo. Sporadic-E can go up to 150 MHz very occasionally, but usually ''maxes-out'' at 70 MHz. But there hasn't been much Es for a while now, but when it's around short skip on 10 and 11 metres can be quite impressive.

Ian
Ian - G4JQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2023, 4:57 pm   #26
electronicskip
Nonode

Checked the 11m band at lunchtime today and its still very busy with lots of bleed over on Sidebands.
Seems today is the turn of Polish and German stations to be prominent.
Old 19th Oct 2023, 5:07 pm   #27
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

On 10/11 I generally find, once the lift comes up, that the propagation follows the most intensely sunlit portion of the atmosphere throughout the day so in the morning you might hear Russia and other eastern European countries, a little bit later you have Switzerland, Germany, Italy and the low countries, later still France and Spain, and then later in the day the Americans start to be more prominent.
Old 19th Oct 2023, 5:14 pm   #28
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I've done some essential maintenance on the 10m radio I mentioned a few posts back - just as well as it had gone a couple of Khz off frequency in the long years since it was last turned on. Seems OK otherwise.

I also have a Realistic TRC-1002 2-channel 1.5W walkie talkie - originally on CB/27/81, it is now on 29.600 and 29.610 Mhz and I would love to manage to work some DX on that - in this period of very good propagation which we have at the moment, I think it may actually be possible.
Old 20th Oct 2023, 11:33 am   #29
electronicskip
Nonode

Would be very interesting to hear the results of that mod especially on a handheld unit , I did manage to drag in more American stations yesterday albiet very distorted but still recognisable .
Old 20th Oct 2023, 8:34 pm   #30
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It works fine (or did) around the time I converted it to 10m, there was a little bit more activity on all bands in those days and I made probably three or four contacts with people in the local area (several miles or more) before I ran out of people I hadn't already worked on it.

It was originally one of a pair used by two system installers I knew who each kept one in their vehicles - this was long before PMR446 which would have been much more practical for their usage and real PMR was still prohibitively expensive to buy just for occasional site use. Unfortunately one got stolen and the other guy, knowing my interests, gave the survivor to me. The problem was that although a two channel set it only came with one channel crystalled and that was channel 20 CB/27/81 so it was nearly useless without another one to communicate with - as I'm sure you know, channels 14 and 30 were the established 'standard' for two channel sets. In those days it was still relatively easy to get crystals made for not too bad a price so I crystalled it on the 10FM calling channel and +10Khz from there.

Working DX on it would be quite a challenge - I routinely work DX (in good conditions) on 11m using 4W mobile, but this set has somewhat less power and no provision for an external antenna so I'd have to use the long telescopic whip.
Old 21st Oct 2023, 2:41 am   #31
ez2cdave
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
I'm not surprised, the sun is very active right now, good possibility of aurora tonight.
I've just picked up Florida and North Carolina breakers in the past 30 mins.
What frequency are you on ?
ez2cdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2023, 10:10 am   #32
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Just checked on Hack Green SDR and it looks like the propagation which has been running high for a week or two has finally subsided, just when I was finally getting geared up and ready to go.
Old 28th Oct 2023, 11:31 am   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Saturday: Activity on 10/11 is well up again, looking on Hack Green almost every Khz of the SSB portion of 10m is busy, mostly due to there being a contest on but by just listening, it is a good way to know where the band is open to. 11m is also very lively.
Old 28th Oct 2023, 3:24 pm   #34
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Image (courtesy of the Hack Green SDR) - 10 metres a few minutes ago. 11m is just as busy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10metres_1515_28_10_23.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	287020  
Old 28th Oct 2023, 4:34 pm   #35
electronicskip
Nonode

Every channel seems to have life this afternoon here.
11m so busy,good to see so much life in it.
Old 28th Oct 2023, 6:30 pm   #36
Keith
Heptode

Sadly it's all just contest activity - no meaningful communication going on...
Old 28th Oct 2023, 6:55 pm   #37
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Very true but it is interesting to be able to map the propagation going by the callsign prefixes being heard. Unfortunately the contest seems to be running all weekend so those of us who'd just like to talk for a bit won't get a word in edgeways.

One workaround (on 10m) might be to try 10FM - same propagation, but not included in the contest. Anyone suitably equipped can also try 11m instead.
Old 28th Oct 2023, 7:28 pm   #38
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Weekend contests always seem to bring people out of the woodwork. Yes it's good to see some activity on the bands, but contesting really isn't my thing [though one day I might achieve 5-band DXCC I'd rather it be involving proper conversations rather than simply exchanging protocol-data].
Old 30th Oct 2023, 7:39 am   #39
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

6M opened to VK yesterday
M0AFJ, Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2023, 11:13 am   #40
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Unfortunately I don't have 6m unless you count the low powered 49MHz FM walkie talkie I crystalled for the FM calling frequency. I was always on the lookout for an FT-690RII to go with my FT-290RII but lately the prices of the FTx90 series seem to be going back up. I considered the Kenwood TS-60 as a companion to my HF TS-50 but they were quite rare then and I haven't seen one for years.

Still seeing activity on 10m today, and now that the madness of the weekend contest is over it might be possible to use the conditions to have a 'normal' QSO on 10 SSB.