UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2023, 7:51 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default Mitsubishi DAR-C modulator

AKA RF Converter Unit.
Picked this up at a car boot sale many years ago and pressed it into service to feed CD or DVD into my daughter's RF-only portable TV when at Uni.

It came to light again a couple of weeks ago and so I thought I'd tidy up my adaptations so I'd better understand it for future use. The modulator and my adaptor box are shown in the picture.

I don't know the original use for it but I'm guessing for a baseband-only camera or camcorder to use with an ordinary (at the time) telly. Its connections are on a 5-pin DIN plug which I assume is original.
Pin 1: Green, mono audio
Pin 2: co-ax screen, Earth / Gnd / 0v
Pin 3: N.C.
Pin 4: co-ax inner, Grey, video
Pin 5: 8v (but I use 9v)

My adaptor is a re-purposed SCART / triple RCA box with the SCART removed and replaced by a 5-pin DIN socket and a 9-pin D-type for getting 9v in. The left and right audio are combined with 4k7 resistors and seem to produce an OK audio level in the TV when tested with a Wii source.

That's about it. With this info it might be worth keeping an eye open for such things to save having to heave out a VCR etc for our old tellies.
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MitsuMod.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	283862  
Old 24th Aug 2023, 2:50 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Mitsubishi DAR-C modulator

Yes I've done the same thing with Sony & JVC RF modulators. Definitely better than just scrapping them.
They are though unfortunately usually double-sideband modulators, and some later TV's with auto tuning sometimes have a problem in locking on to them. Also a problem if using more than one at a time.

David.
Closed Thread