UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2020, 12:02 am   #1
gridrunner
Pentode

Default Pioneer Laserdisc CLD 2600 problem

Hi everyone,

I have a Pioneer CLD 2600 which is a PAL double sided player.
The machine came to me working but with a bad picture and no sound. However having arrived in the post (well packed, but still..) there is a new issue.

When I load a disc, the machine starts to spin up and then spins down. If I load an audio CD, the same thing happens, albeit with a little bit of a seeking noise from the laser.

I've gently removed the clamp top plate to get a better view. The machine is very clean. There's no sign of damage or missing/broken gears. The laser head looks pristine.

My thinking is that whatever was a bit wayward in the laser pickup path has now been pushed to failure point by being jolted in the post - dry joint, bad connector maybe?

Does anyone have any experience with these machines and could offer any tips?

thanks

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laser.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	220955  
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 12:49 am   #2
atsampson
Triode

Default Re: Pioneer Laserdisc CLD 2600 problem

I don't have that model, but based on what I've seen with the other Pioneer players I've got...

If it's trying to spin up then that's a good sign - the player checks that it can focus on the disc before spinning up at all, so the pickup's got some life in it and the focus servo is working. If it spins up and doesn't detect sensible video syncs (or CD audio) within a short period of time then it'll spin down again; the same if it doesn't get up to the expected spindle speed. Check all the power rails and the connectors to the motor. Check the disc is actually clamped securely and not slipping on the spindle. Stick a scope on the RF pin on the test connector and you should be able to see the FM waveform from the disc.

You'll find it much easier to work on if you can get it into service mode. Some later players have a "service mode" link you can ground near the microcontroller on the control board, but earlier consumer players want a special remote control sequence (ESC, RANDOM) - you can generate this if you've got a programmable remote.

Noisy picture and no digital sound sounds like low RF level out of the pickup - which might be a worn-out pickup, or it might just need calibrating, especially if it's gone through the post! If you can't find the service manual for this exact model then look for another consumer player of about the same age - the process doesn't change that much, and some manuals explain it better than others! I would thoroughly recommend reading Simon Inns' LD-V4300D calibration guide - the service mode looks different in the consumer players (the LD-V4300D is roughly 1990-ish in terms of design) but the physical processes are much the same. I'd also recommend this Pioneer training video which talks through the calibration process for a consumer player.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 1:54 am   #3
John123
Heptode

Apologies if this sounds a bit obvious, but do check for a transit bolt or screw. Some players had this option to prevent damage in..you've guessed it..transit!
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 1:11 pm   #4
gridrunner
Pentode

Hi everyone,

thanks for the advice. I do have an interest in the format and have several pieces of equipment relating to console and computer gaming with laserdisc. It would be good over time to build up some knowledge on repair, so this one might be a slow burner.

There are a couple of things I'll put right first. Barry the bodger had been inside at some point and for reasons unknown had cut the earth wire and retied the live and neutral wires using an over-sized chocolate block. The strain relief gromit was replaced by some insulation tape and over time the block had rotated so that it was pushing up one corner of the tray. Sadly this alignment issue wasn't the problem. I'll lubricate the carriage and replace the loading belt while its in bits. I'll clean the lens and check the ribbon cables over and report back.

Getting hold of a calibration disc would be handy.

Not sure why anyone would go to the trouble of getting the back panel off just to snip the earth wire? That's a bit concerning. The player has PAT stickers so I'm wondering if that's some someone's idea of getting past earth leakage! ?

Thanks again.
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 2:09 am   #5
atsampson
Triode

Re cleaning the lens - see the warnings about this in Simon's calibration guide, since it's really easy to scratch it. It shouldn't be necessary if the player's reasonably clean inside.

PAL calibration discs are very hard to find - the ld-decode project has found one copy in several years of searching, so if you do find one we'd be interested in imaging it! The NTSC calibration disc GGV-1069 was still available new from Donberg last year, though. At a pinch you can use a different CAV disc for most of the adjustments - side 4 of the EE Jason and the Argonauts box set is CAV and has a useful collection of PAL test signals.
Closed Thread