UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2020, 4:17 pm   #21
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: 1960s/70s Philips video camera

Quote:
All the tubed cameras I have seen warm up to a white raster that darkens down to reveal the image.
I have several cameras from that period that work to some extent.
In one of your photos there appears to be a hefty dent in the case.
There are a number of things that could go wrong with the tube if it has taken a hit.
I am not sure how the view finder comes off but once ir is removed the lens should just screw off if it is a "C" mount.
That could be the case, although I've had it on for a little while before with little change. Only stays that grey colour

Sure is a dent but nothing inside looks damaged, in fact it looks mint inside. The tube looks okay and there's no sign of it having gone to air, or anything else really, it looks normal, in the standards of a conventional television CRT, at least.

I did try unscrewing it all, hoping maybe it'll all come off as one section, but no luck, not yet anyway.

Quote:
A bit more about "Lines" to clear any confusion. Simplistically:-

The picture is made up of 625 horizontal scanning lines (or 405, 525 according to standard in use). Of these 625 lines 575 are visible ones with picture information in them, the other 50 are lost in the flyback period.

TV engineers refer to 400, 500 or whatever vertical lines of resolution. These are not "scan" lines as per the previous paragraph but the number of lines that can be seen (resolved) from a test card (test pattern) under ideal conditions.

This is a measure of the nebulous concept of how sharp the picture looks. There are electronic circuits that can visually improve the appearance of the picture called aperture correctors, but that is a story for another day.
Thank you for explaining that, as I say I'm not the most knowledgeable on how these cameras work, nor even really televisions to the extent of most people on here. It's definitely been interesting learning about these though.

Quote:
Did you verify that the type plate has only a single "real" serial number on it and not 2 numbers or an NC?
That's correct, The 8925 002 50401 number has no words or letters to it at all, only the serial number does.

Thanks
'77
Old 19th Nov 2020, 5:37 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I wonder if the white raster isn't simply excessive beam-current.

Can you see a preset pot marked "Beam"? it might be best to wait until you get the manual off Pete.
Old 19th Nov 2020, 6:07 pm   #23
Refugee
Dekatron

Mechanical damage often happens to the ceramic spacers inside the tube and can only be seen with the tube removed from the scan coils. The getters can also not been seen without removing the tube.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 1:03 pm   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Seventy7 View Post
That's correct, The 8925 002 50401 number has no words or letters to it at all, only the serial number does.
You're in luck, that's the commercial code (SKU) for model number LDH0025/04 which confirms it's a member of the LDH25 family.

Also you mention that the serial number has letters, those would indicate the manufacturing site. What are the letters?
Closed Thread