UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2013, 2:49 pm   #41
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: New Workbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
The main problem with carpets is when hot solder drops onto them. The evidence remains forever to be seen by those who would rather have the room as a spare bedroom.
Ah, the difficulty when SWMBO cannot be obeyed! The ramifications are too much.....

I have found that a suitably-sized piece of carpet underlay is useful as a workbench surface. It is made from foam-rubber on a rough fabric matrix. If used with the rubber face-up, it presents a non-slip, non-scratch surface. When soldering, any drops will get caught up in the shape of the foam rubber. When it is too full of solder, or spiky bits of detritus to be non-scratch, chuck it out and get another!

Colin.
Old 11th Sep 2013, 6:04 pm   #42
threeseven
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
The main problem with carpets is when hot solder drops onto them. The evidence remains forever to be seen by those who would rather have the room as a spare bedroom.
That is so true and reminds me of my early days of electronic tinkering. After the first time my mother noticed the indisputable evidence of carpet/solder interface she became paranoid about it! Even after I laid a piece of old carpet over the 'best' carpet in the area in which I worked she was always on solder alert! Fortunately my first shed resolved the problem.
Old 11th Sep 2013, 6:39 pm   #43
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Don't mention hot solder and carpets, way back in the 60/70's if any of us field engineers dropped solder on a customer's carpet it was out with the side cutters.That always got rid of the evidence!

While at Granada we had a "Prayer Mat" as it was known to cover the carpet while soldering.
Old 11th Sep 2013, 6:53 pm   #44
greenstar
Octode

The toxity thing interests me. I would say that the great bulk of research on such things reflects commercial interests, so, there is very little research sponsored on things like mobile 'phones, homeopathy (used by the royal family for 150 yrs), and effects of toxins individually or in combination. So it's a bit of an individual decision whether to worry about it. The next generation is usually be horrified about many things the last use daily. I believe WD40 is horrendously toxic (read the label) but must have breathed in the spray numerous times. Half a teaspoon of antifreeze will kill a cat. The fat of antarctic penguins contains Scotchguard, once present in amost fabrics. The cotton in our clothes once contained so much pesticide it had to be bleached. Personally, i try to err on the cautious side.
It is certainly worth exercising caution - lots of substances used in DIY require protective gear used professionally - eg, exterior timber treatments. Spending a lot of time using stuff as a hobby it must mertit consideration.

Last edited by greenstar; 11th Sep 2013 at 6:54 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 11th Sep 2013, 7:08 pm   #45
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I think we have wandered far enough on this thread.