UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2013, 7:30 pm   #1
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Default New Workbench

Much upheaval of late with house decorations involving my old workshop being turned into our bedroom. Old bedroom (larger) now handed over to me as a workshop for my three hobbies, model shipbuilding, vintage radio and writing.
Walls painted light blue. Floor laid with non-toxic Marmoleom lino with a piece of non-toxic carpeting (removable) on in working area. Long three-section desk under window. Left, shipbuilding, centre (pictured below) vintage radio, right writing!
I have put a shelf behind the radio section with my variable PSU (0 -350 Volts DC) on the left, followed by Oscilloscope, RF sig gen, AF sig gen. In front and to left, my digital meter. Under shelf, frequency counter, capacitance meter, circuit analyser, resistance box, analogue meter and solder. All test leads in top drawer under desk. Soldering iron to the left. In the past, I haven't often been bothered to get out the scope & sig. gens etc, even if I needed them. Now they are immediately on hand!
Back of room, my technical library.
At the moment, I still have to stop and search for things in unnacustomed new places, but it is a great improvement on my old setup.
Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Workbench (Large).jpg
Views:	426
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	83718  
Old 5th Sep 2013, 7:39 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: New Workbench

when you say you've installed non-toxic carpet, are you implying regular carpet is toxic? My workshop has carpet tiles.
Old 5th Sep 2013, 8:29 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes,modern carpets are full of toxins.As are all floor coverings in the main.
Old 5th Sep 2013, 9:19 pm   #4

Carpet is good (toxic or otherwise) for stopping small bits flying into unknown corners, nice job, if only I was that tidy.

Old 5th Sep 2013, 9:24 pm   #5
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, research by wife indicates that carpets have formaledehyde in them and Vinyl gives off toxic fumes over its entire lifetime.
The Marmoleum claims to be completely free of harmful substances and is backed by cork. Horribly expensive though. But should be very easy to find small pieces that have been dropped and is apparently very hard-wearing.
Bob
PS
Merlin,
It is only tidy because I only completed the radio section today, it will soon be a mess again I expect"

Last edited by Variometer; 5th Sep 2013 at 9:26 pm. Reason: Added PS
Old 5th Sep 2013, 9:32 pm   #6
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

This is my old workroom immediately before decommissioning!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Workroom before moving it all out (Medium).JPG
Views:	356
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	83729  
Old 5th Sep 2013, 10:01 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Eeee Luxury!

Can't see why you're moving out... unless you're taking up radiograms?

David
Old 5th Sep 2013, 10:12 pm   #8
threeseven
Octode

I don't think 100% wool carpets have a toxic content and I can't imagine any domestic flooring product having formaldehyde content, that is a lethal chemical. Synthetic carpet may have a certain toxicity in certain situations, like in a fire, but beyond that I doubt it is a threat in normal use. At one time decorative paint was very nasty stuff but the content is now tightly regulated. Old style white gloss paint was loaded with lead which must have been very nasty for professional decorators!
Nice workshop btw!
Old 5th Sep 2013, 10:17 pm   #9
neutronic
Pentode

While sitting,can you stretch your legs?

Jard N.
Old 5th Sep 2013, 10:27 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Is the new one really Tardis Mk11, or is there a lot out of sight
Old 6th Sep 2013, 6:58 am   #11
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for replies. Plenty of leg room. There is a lot out of sight that I am still sorting out. The first priority was the three desks all in a row under the window. If the internet is to be believed, there is a certain amount of toxicity in most carpets & floor coverings It is not something that would normally even have entered in my mind, but my wife discovered it all a couple of months ago and that is what caused the decorating to take place with non-toxic material. Anyway, I like the new arrangement and it is a far more pleasant place to work in than the old one. When I took the old carpet up, there was a thick layer of fine black dust under it where the rubber underlay had perished. Since the change-over, I have felt a lot fitter, but that may all be in the mind or because of the extreme physical effort required to do all this. (It took 2 months).
Bob
Old 6th Sep 2013, 8:27 am   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Bob,
Wow! I started off with a bench like that but 5000 repairs and restorations later it got a bit more busy. I must confess, everything in my workshop is toxic. The carpet, lino on workbench top, solder, chemical cleaners even the receivers themselves and you can toss in the creosote soaked 20 X 10 shed! The clock is probably the only innocent party but wait...it has luminous hands. [The second picture shows what happened when I broke open a VISCONOL EHT capacitor] I'm dead!
My bench is 4ft X 8ft and when I'm in the bowels of a television receiver, find this generous size wanting.
Is it large enough depth wise? I would have thought a small woody radio could present a struggle. Of course your interests may be more of the OC44 style and of course it would be entirely suitable.
Seriously, The very best of luck with your new workshop.
It just needs scruffing up a bit by way of a Christening. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Workshop..jpg
Views:	330
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	83742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mains pop!.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	83743  
Old 6th Sep 2013, 9:23 am   #13
newlite4
Octode

John, great bench, looks very homely, but an even better sunset! You should enter that in next years Countryfile competition.
Well Done,
Neil
Old 6th Sep 2013, 10:37 am   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Love that sunset John. Hope not too far off topic but if it's a view from the workshop window may be allowable.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 10:51 am   #15
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

John,
Thanks for image of your workshop. It looks very nice and cozy! I am definitely not an OC44 type though! I don't have anything to do with transistors if I can help it - never liked them Strictly valves. Mainly the small all glass ones DLs, DAFs etc or 6V ones like EF91, EF80 etc. I prefer cheapo valves, then I don't have to worry if I blow one (not that I often do).
I have a small collection of 1930s valves, but don't use them much. I also like EF39s, ECH35s, EBC33s and 6V6s and sometimes use them with 120V HT and they work OK at that level. Once had 3 R valves, but they were a constant worry that I would blow them or drop them, so I go rid of them to someone who really wanted them!
Bob
Old 6th Sep 2013, 11:38 am   #16
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The octal valves are tough and well used in many circuits as are the EF series.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 2:33 pm   #17
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Not much point in my opinion spending a lot of money on a non toxic floor covering, then filling it with rosin fumes and all the other chemicals we use. For me, better to have plenty of fresh air coming in. I must glow in the dark I'm so toxic!
The second picture looks a bit more like my shed when I'm busy. I must admit, I'm not a very tidy worker, and within 30 mins of tidying the bench, its a mess again. OCD is not something that has set in yet!
Good luck with your new 'shop.
Bill
Old 6th Sep 2013, 3:27 pm   #18
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

I have a pretty powerful extractor for use when using anything with fumes, it sucks them straight out of the window through a large flexible pipe. I never used to bother about such things when I was younger, but then I started becoming allergic to all sorts of things. If I get a bit of contact adhesive on my skin, if I don't remove it within a few minutes, it comes up in a big itchy wheal that lasts a couple of days. The old workshop was emptied and everything removed. Then it was cleaned and painted with non toxic paints and became our bedroom. Have felt much better since. Also, new workroom "feels" better.
Bob
Old 6th Sep 2013, 4:10 pm   #19
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninashed View Post
Not much point in my opinion spending a lot of money on a non toxic floor covering, then filling it with rosin fumes and all the other chemicals we use. For me, better to have plenty of fresh air coming in. I must glow in the dark I'm so toxic!
The second picture looks a bit more like my shed when I'm busy. I must admit, I'm not a very tidy worker, and within 30 mins of tidying the bench, its a mess again. OCD is not something that has set in yet!
Good luck with your new 'shop.
Bill
I'll second that, I got hold of some free carpet from the grandparents who live next door, the kitchen units were also free, the worktop lengths (3 metres) were seconds at around £20 each.

This workshop of mine has been around for nearly a year and has not managed to stay clean for more than a week!

Pic below was taken Christmastime last year, it's been reorganised this year, again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	112_0178.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	83767  
Old 6th Sep 2013, 9:01 pm   #20
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The sunset shot was taken across the fields last Sunday evening. It is a perfect view from the workshop door.
I too attempt to keep everything in order and I do know where everything is.[Well most things]
When I had the shop I used to damp cloth the workbench down every evening
so that I was not greeted in the morning with yesterdays autopsies..If you had experienced a difficult day,that could put you in a bad mood for the rest of the day.
The workbench is the very one from the shop workshop complete with dents and a few burn marks reinstalled at what I hope to be my final resting place. Yes it is a very warm, friendly and cosy atmosphere bringing back many Happy Days! [and just a very few long forgotten bad ones] I hope you have many successes with your new set up Bob. Regards, John.
Closed Thread