UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2013, 11:01 am   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default Test Match Special on R4 Long Wave

Has anybody else noticed a 'Norman Collier' effect on R4 LW - there are ongoing momentary interruptions to transmission. Happens on several of my radios, so not an AF117 effect!

I first noticed it late afternoon yesterday.

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 20th Jul 2013 at 11:09 am.
Old 20th Jul 2013, 11:23 am   #2
raditechman
Heptode

Default Re: Test Match Special on R4 Long Wave

The drop outs are still there Saturday AM, an announcement has been broadcast saying that the fault on Long Waves is "being looked at".
John
Old 20th Jul 2013, 11:32 am   #3
ronbryan
Octode

Yes, I heard that too. Then Phil Tufnell said he had a Philips screwdriver, although he recommended switching it all off and on again to fix the problem.

Ron
Old 20th Jul 2013, 12:42 pm   #4
bobbyball
Octode

Just (finally) got my Blaupunkt radio chassis going and yes, the "blips" are still there...
Old 21st Jul 2013, 2:05 pm   #5
crusher19860138
Hexode

It sounds OK today ,was the carrier being lost or just the audio feed?
Old 21st Jul 2013, 4:29 pm   #6
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Coming in very crisply on my 1966 Philips Popmaster complete with its original AF117s.

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 21st Jul 2013 at 4:30 pm. Reason: Error
Old 21st Jul 2013, 5:24 pm   #7
ronbryan
Octode

I think it might have been audio drop-out. On Saturday, as they were investigating, the drop-out silences were replaced by a few cycles of an audio tone and in a couple of cases momentary snatches of what seemed like another radio station.

Ron
Old 31st Jul 2013, 8:15 pm   #8
MartinUKL
Retired Dormant Member

Hot summer afternoons listening to the cricket, distant storm-clouds slowly building with crackles on LW from static. - Bliss.

Last edited by MartinUKL; 31st Jul 2013 at 8:24 pm.
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 6:02 am   #9
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Equally nice there Martin.
Listening to Radio Australia with the highlights of the day's cricket of an evening with the Aussies well on the way to winning the 3rd test.

Bliss!

Sorry people. I just could not help myself. Am I bad?

Mods, You can bin this one if you so desire. I do humbly apologise for my impropriety.

Cheers, Robert.
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 9:29 am   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

You're allowed a brief moment of gloating

Back (sort of) on topic. I think it was yesterday, a TV OB was interrupted by colour bars. I suspect the brave new digital world, with more computers and less humans will be increasingly prone to these glitches.
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 10:22 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

On ye olde days, someone pushed the wrong button and it took a while to get noticed.

Here in the brave new future, some set of circumstances that a programmer never thought of happened, and a machine does something daft. It's still human error, but there's a random time delay before it comes to light.

Recently the Sony hard drive recorder software bug came to light when an electronic program guide was transmitted with just the right error to drive it loopy.

Thirty years ago a bug in Philips CD chipset came to light when an addressing error was pressed into millions of one Phil Collins CD track, and anyone with that machine and that disc discovered that the stuck gramophone needle had not been left in the past.

Most computer errors trace back to someone's typo or bad decision. It's their ablity to reproduce millions of times and all go wrong identically that's new.

David
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 1:46 pm   #12
raditechman
Heptode

During the Test Match luncheon interval on Saturday there was an interview with Sir Robin Knox-Johnston who has sailed single handed around the world, he said how he listened to Test match special and other BBC programmes on Long Waves with a good aerial as far as the Azores! he also praised the Shipping Forecast on Long Waves. Nice to hear Long Waves being praised.
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 3:20 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

It may well be the shipping forecast and the phase modulated system control stuff that are the only reasons why 198kHz is still in use.

National defence; telling people when to get out the treacle and brown paper 'But remember to tag them first' can no longer be it... lots of households never listen to longwave.

David
Old 5th Aug 2013, 2:15 pm   #14
Alex728
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
You're allowed a brief moment of gloating

Back (sort of) on topic. I think it was yesterday, a TV OB was interrupted by colour bars. I suspect the brave new digital world, with more computers and less humans will be increasingly prone to these glitches.
Unfortunately a consequence of not so much digital tech but the "everything for free" culture of the Internet has basically eliminated many staff jobs for broadcast engineers (I was once one) and those who remain either end up having to monitor/QC 10 channels at once (and not being able to devote sufficient time to any of them) or they have a "feast or famine" freelance work pattern which only appeals to a narrower age range.

There is also increasing use of unpaid interns in UK creative industries to the point that it's being judged as illegal even by the current administration!

I still volunteer with my local community radio station when I can but in the early 2000s I ended up moving to normal corporate IT and telecoms just to pay the bills...

As for 198KHz I read a while back that Auntie was down to their last two valves for that TX and when they pop it's being shut down.

I believe BBC local radio does have some plans for national defence / local resilience announcements (especially in coastal areas or cities) and perhaps community staions do but they would be using Band II. I know very few younger folk other than sports fans who listen to MF or LF and many rarely even listen to Band II these days unless in a car...
Old 5th Aug 2013, 3:44 pm   #15
paulsherwin

This thread has started to wander, so Radio 4 LW is rejoining Radio 4 FM.
Closed Thread