UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2021, 3:20 pm   #1
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default Garrard 3500 replacement?

Trying to help a mate who has a nice old Dynatron Stereogram and the broken off wires need re-connecting to the Sonotone 9TA an almost impossible task as little to work with and ultra fine wiring. I'm wondering if another Garrard deck would fit in here, the 3000 maybe? and give better options regarding a cartridge replacement?
Old 21st Oct 2021, 4:43 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 3500 replacement?

It's not an impossible as this is done all the time. Whilst the Garrard 3000 will fit the 3500 motorboard cut out, I can't see what difference changing the deck will make as the 4 wires will still need to be connected to the 9TA cartridge anyway. And you will just end up with a good, spare deck.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 12:25 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Given that most 9TAs are u/s by now, I would cut your losses and just fit new metal tags to the bare wires, then fit a new ceramic cartridge. You can use the Chuo Denshi clones or Banpa+ST16 stylus for LP/78.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 1:23 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I wonder whether the OP is concerned about the length of wires available as they have been broken off. If so it is possible to replace the wires back to the terminal strip under the deck. I have used the fine wires from within a telephone extension lead for this.

I have used a Chinese ceramic cart to replace a Sonotone 9TA HC whose suspension rubber had gone hard and was pleased with the results but can they be fitted into the narrow head on a 3500?
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 1:56 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, they will just about fit and many may be surprised at just how good they sound. I still think the problem that the OP has though is that he is daunted by the prospect of such fine wire soldering. I do mine under a fixed position 12X glass.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 10:58 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

If the tonearm wires seem to be too short, there's one last thing to check before going to the trouble of rewiring. Look on deck underside and see if there's much slack between arm and tag strip, if so that might just give you enough to work with at the cartridge end.

First free it up from any cable ties or glue inside the arm base, or free it if it is fed at an acute angle round the tonearm pivot/downforce spring, etc. Then gently pull it through from the headshell end.

Another thing you could do if it is still too short is to do the above but desolder the wires from the tag strip, and extend them there on the deck underside. This would mean you could use thicker cable (easier to find!) without affecting the arm's freedom of movement, as you would be adding the new section between arm and tag strip.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 10:14 pm   #7
Ekcoman
Heptode

Thanks for all your advice guys. Next time I go around will take a look at a way of extending the existing cables by seeing if can find a bit of play as suggested. The head on this deck is so narrow doesnt help. Need steadier hands too but age is against me.
Old 24th Oct 2021, 6:46 pm   #8
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcoman View Post
... I'm wondering if another Garrard deck would fit in here....
Hi, if you aren't bothered about the autochanger option, the motor board cut out for the Garrard 3500 is the same as the SP25 Mkll, III and IV and would be suitable replacements for the original deck. The SP25 Mkll is older than the 3500 however the Mk III and IV are of a similar age so wouldn't look too out of place in your mate's player.
Those decks would also give a much wider choice of cartridge, however it would have to be of the ceramic variety unless you wanted to go to the trouble of fitting an additional pre-amp and magnetic cartridge.

Andrew
Old 24th Oct 2021, 7:51 pm   #9
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcoman View Post
... I'm wondering if another Garrard deck would fit in here....
Hi, if you aren't bothered about the autochanger option, the motor board cut out for the Garrard 3500 is the same as the SP25 Mkll, III and IV and would be suitable replacements for the original deck. The SP25 Mkll is older than the 3500 however the Mk III and IV are of a similar age so wouldn't look too out of place in your mate's player.
Those decks would also give a much wider choice of cartridge, however it would have to be of the ceramic variety unless you wanted to go to the trouble of fitting an additional pre-amp and magnetic cartridge.

Andrew
Thanks for that will pass on