UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:05 pm   #1
jeff_kamen
Diode

Default BSR Ultra 6454 - no sound to right speaker

I have a very old BSR Ultra (I've had it over 40 years).

Just spent all day cleaning it and getting it working again, only to find out that it is not kicking out any sound to the Right Speaker. I removed the old external plugs and directly connected the speaker wires (still no sound to the Right speaker). I swapped the internal plugs from the underside of the turntable (still no sound to the Right speaker).

I can only assume that the circuit board has a fault and is no longer providing sound to the Right speaker.

Question > is it possible and is it worth trying to repair? If yes then how?
(if not then it will be travelling to the bin)

Also, if it can be repaired, is there any way of the turntable providing an input to an external amplifier input?
Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:09 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: BSR Ultra - no sound to right speaker

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Ultra would have manufactured this player and fitted it with a BSR turntable.

Do you have a model number or model name for the player? Armed with this info we may be able to locate a circuit for the amplifier and advise you how to proceed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:31 pm   #3
jeff_kamen
Diode

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raid.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	243778Yes - sorry, I omitted this from my original post. It is a model 6454.

I also have a pic - I just need to work out how to post it in this thread!

Last edited by jeff_kamen; 19th Oct 2021 at 10:49 pm. Reason: add pic
Old 19th Oct 2021, 11:30 pm   #4
jeff_kamen
Diode

Sorted the output to an external amplifier.

I connected the internal phono L and R via a phono lead to my external Onkyo amplifier and it is playing nicely!

Would be nice to have the record player's internal amp working, but connecting to an external amp was my eventual goal anyway.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 12:36 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

I repaired the white version of this last month. That's the 6455, which is virtually identical to your 6454.
From my notes:

WEAK AUDIO
REPLACE ALL CALLINS CAPS (470Uf/35V, 10UF/25V)
LEFT CHANNEL WEAK, TRACED TO PREAMP
- VT1 L (replaced BC154 with a BC557)
INTERMITTENT AUDIO
-VOLUME/BALANCE POTS WORN, CLEANING ATTEMPTED.

The potentiometers seem to be of fairly low quality on these units, even when working they feel loose and 'plasticky'.

Hope this helps.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 8:57 am   #6
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_kamen View Post
Sorted the output to an external amplifier.

I connected the internal phono L and R via a phono lead to my external Onkyo amplifier and it is playing nicely!

Would be nice to have the record player's internal amp working, but connecting to an external amp was my eventual goal anyway.
That shows that the player's cartridge is OK.

Service information for your player is available here:-

https://www.service-data.com/product...7/16973/m22117

The great advantage of a stereo player is that it's easy to compare voltage readings between the working and non-working channel.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 9:44 am   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Ultra 6454 - no sound to right speaker

A good chance that a bad transistor or associated component. As Graham says comparison of the good channel with the bad channel (typical transistor voltages are shown in the schematic) should help to home in on suspect area.

You will need a test meter to measure DC voltage.

Only consider doing this if you can do it safely, as there will be live 240 volts mains inside the unit.

David
Old 20th Oct 2021, 12:53 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Noting the OP's last query in Post #1, there should be a 5 pin DIN socket at the rear of the unit to allow a direct connection to an external stereo amplifier. However, this may not work on all Amplfiier inputs such as the expected "Phono" socket. It MAY work via an Aux/Tape/Radio/CD input. This is because of the type of cartridge used in the BSR deck.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 4:58 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at the schematic there is a 5 pin Tape/Radio DIN (SKT2) but it looks like all pins are wired as inputs, i.e. pins 1 & 4 are wired into the pre-amp input via 1MOhm resistor and pins 2 and 5 are wired into the pre-amp input via 10kOhm resistor, i.e. there are no amplifier output signals back to SKT2.

I suppose you could use pins 1 and 4 to output the cartridge outputs but via the 1 MOhm resistors.

From Post # 4 sounds like Jeff has obtained good signal into his external amp by directly connecting the phono cables.

David
Old 25th Oct 2021, 4:17 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
....there are no amplifier output signals back to SKT2.
I suppose you could use pins 1 and 4 to output the cartridge outputs but via the 1 MOhm resistors.

David
Pins 1 and 4 are outputs from the cartridge, for feeding in to a tape recorder at DIN level, via the 1M Ohm series resistors.
Pins 3 and 5 are the input to the amplifier via lower value resistors.

This arrangement was quite common in budget range players, in fact some models didn't even incorporate any buffer resistors; the feed from the cartridge to the volume control/first amplifier stage being directly connected to Pins 3 and 5 of the DIN socket with simple series resistors in the order of 470K to 1M Ohm being connected from pin 3 to 1 and 5 to 4 respectively.

Andrew
Closed Thread