UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2021, 9:47 pm   #1
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Default Help identifying Mystery self contained amplifier and speaker

Evening all,

On the bench tonight is a little amp and speaker combo. I reckon it's a guitar practice amp and it can be mains or battery operated (you have to change a connector over from PSU board to 2 X PP9) It has 2 inputs, a 6.3mm jack socket and 3 4mm banana sockets (I'm guessing it uses some sort of balanced input as both tip and ring of the jack and 2 of the banana sockets go to 2 resistors on the PCB)
The PSU is a simple transformer, bridge and 2 caps plus 27 ohm resistors in series with the caps and output to the main pcb.

It seems to be working as touching the inputs with a screwdriver produces the usual pickup hum/buzz and this is variable by the volume control. it also has a high sensitivity input selectable with a switch, this also works.
The issue I have is that the PSU is designed to supply about +/- 10v but the 27 ohm resistors limit this to about +/-4.5V and get rather hot in the process. (one shows signs of burning ) Basic DC checks on the amp board reveal that the 2 large blue capacitors directly across the psu Input are ok, each measuring about 500uF with an ESR of under 0.2 ohms (according to my Chinese component tester) and there is almost no residual /PSU hum.

Ideally, I'd like to know who made it and maybe get hold of circuit information so I can see what voltages should be appearing at the PSU input to the main board.

It sort of looks like a home brew kit but the internal construction is to a very high standard with cables loomed neatly and the metalwork looks manufactured. The only thing I do know is that someone called Lisa appears to have had a hand in construction.

Any insights much appreciated.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_205054.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	243702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_204959.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	243703   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_205035.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	243704   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_205127.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	243705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_205133.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	243706  

Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:06 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Help identifying Mystery self contained amplifier and speaker

Possibly educational use? Coomber?

There was also a GPO unit which looks similar to this.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:18 pm   #3
1954Fender
Triode

I think this may be an earlier version of a GPO Loudspeaker Amplifier 11. The amplifier was used as a speech quality monitor in GPO/BT Repeater stations, the 4mm banana sockets used in balanced 600 ohm configuration. The higher gain setting used to monitor for noise on analogue copper circuits. I don't think it is a guitar amplifier! It was a professionally made amplifier for mains or portable battery use. I can't help with schematics or manufacturers - it's too long ago now!
Old 19th Oct 2021, 7:40 am   #4
peter_sol
Octode

Yes The 11A version is the same only upside down with controls at the bottom. It would have had a transformer on the input which may have bee removed/ bypassed.
Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:51 am   #5
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Hi all, thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction on this. It is a GPO loudspeaker amplifier type 11A. There is an old post on here with someone who has servicing info so I have messaged him. Hopefully he still has it and can scan and email it.
Peter_sol, it's never had a transformer on the input although I too would have expected to see one.
My plan with this is to use it as a signal tracer, the high gain setting will be very useful in this regard. Obviously I'll have to knock up some probes and possibly modify the input to accept an unbalanced input.

Rob
Closed Thread