UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2021, 2:13 pm   #1
davej12a
Diode

Default Garrard Turntable 18W motor info

Hi all, I am trying to replace a motor on a vintage Wem Copicat echo unit- it is a Garrard type 9 (or 6?) and has the rating of 0.1A and 18W (could be 16 but looks like 18W). My questions are:

1) Does anyone know what turntable might donate something similar- the ones I find on ebay all seem to be lower powered, e.g. 10W?

2) I could get the broken coil rewound - it looks like awg36 to me, with a DCR of 320ohm- can anyone suggest a rewinder-er?

Many thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard 18w.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	241806   Click image for larger version

Name:	copicat motor.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	241807  
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 4:13 pm   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Garrard Turntable 18W motor info

It's the speed that matters not the wattage. Any garrard 4 pole non synchronous motor should do. That looks like a Garrard RC 121 or 209, 210 type.
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 4:42 pm   #3
davej12a
Diode

Thanks or the info Peter.

I was hoping to maybe re-use the existing motor, so was trying to find windings of the same turns/length (and so DCR). 10w motors having different windings than 18w?

I could try a slightly different 4 pole motor, as you say, but this would change the originality of this very rare amp.

Cheers
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 5:03 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Have a look carefully at the lamination stacks. Often the pole pieces (along with their 'shaded pole' section with its copper loop) can be removed. They may be pressed in, or they may have a locking rod pressed in.

If so, things can be dismantled and re-mantled afterwards, making re-winding the bobbins a bit of a doddle.

Someone with a press and some steel blocks which can position the forces appropriately, or you can make some blocks (hacksaw and file and a spare afternoon) and a large bench vice can press things apart.

David
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 5:21 pm   #5
davej12a
Diode

Thanks, Wrangler.

I have done all that and have the empty bobbin in front of me. I am just a bit reluctant to wind with the equipment I've got to get the right number of turns. I'm also not certain of the gauge..
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 6:35 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

I would suggest you contact forum members Ed Dinning or Mike Barker, both of whom provide an excellent rewinding service.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 7:30 pm   #7
davej12a
Diode

Thanks Maurice I will try that.
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 8:49 pm   #8
davej12a
Diode

Motor bobbin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor bobbin.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	241988  
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 9:00 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

When you have them rewound and you put the motor back together, you need to get the windings connected in series, and in the right phase for it to run. If it doesn't go, you'll have to reverse one winding.

A micrometer will give you the diameter over the lacquer. You can find the gauge of the base copper from wire tables. Good tables give you diameters over a few different grades of varnish, as well as numbers of turns per cross sectional area of bobbin.

Garrard will have likely used a common SWG (Standard Wire Gauge) size. Don't get confused by AWG (American wire gauge) which is close, but a little smaller gauge number for gauge number. Just enough difference to spoil things. AWG seems to get a lot of mention over here, but Garrard will have used SWG sizes, probably bought from BICC who were dominant suppliers of the day. Anyway, Ed or Mike will sort it for you.

David

David
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 9:56 pm   #10
davej12a
Diode

All great info David, thanks.

Yes I've messaged Ed and I'll send some of the original wire and he can match for best. I did note the original direction so hopefully I will get that right first time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor bobbin.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	241992  
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 11:11 pm   #11
joebog1
Banned

Its pretty easy if a little time consuming but:
Cut ALL the wires right through on the bobbin, being carefull not to damage the bobbin/former.
Remove all the wires from the bobbin and simply count the ends of the wire.
That gives you the number of turns required.
A block of wood cut to fit inside the bobbin and say a 3/8" bolt through the centre of the wood, and you have your winding set up.
Measure the wire as others have described, and but the same. Weigh the dead coil wire and you will know how much to buy. I wouldnt be buying much more than you need. Winding insulated wire is EXPENSIVE !!.

I use a hand drill ( eggbeater style) for simple jobs like this. Measure the ratio of your hand drill, so that instead of counting the bobbin turns, simply count the crank handle turns. "Most" hand drills are about 3.5:1 Ratio. Measure this accurately so you dont end up underwinding or overwinding.

Happy winding . But somebody with a winding machine will take ten minutes to make another coil.

Sorry about the long winded explanation.

Joe
Old 24th Sep 2021, 8:50 am   #12
davej12a
Diode

Cheers Joe, I'm going to let the pros handle this one, but I may well try my hand on some old busted transformers!
Old 24th Sep 2021, 10:19 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

Count the teeth on the crown wheel and the pinion of your hand drill and get the ratio exact.

David
Old 24th Sep 2021, 3:39 pm   #14
analogadikt
Tetrode

A tape counter from a junked deck could be repurposed as a turns counter.

Regards,
Old 18th Oct 2021, 7:14 pm   #15
davej12a
Diode

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with this. Ed did a sterling job on the rewind, so the original motor is up and running.
Just as well as I never did find a replacement of the same power!
Cheers
Closed Thread