UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2020, 1:21 am   #1
AdrianH
Octode

Default 90 degree phase shift circuit help

Click image for larger version

Name:	phase circuit.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	223090

This is part of the circuit from a TS100/AP radar test scope? I have a little bit of other information on the unit such as part in pdf.

What I am wondering is how I could wind the phase shifting assembly, it is shown as 6 coils with the centre two in series as part of a resonant circuit in the anode of V7b. and groups of two coils centre fed with HT for X and Y sections both resonant one above and one below centre frequency.

I would like to try and wind such a coil if possible on a ferrite rod, but I am not sure of the sense of the centre winding for it to work, I am hoping that even though it is shown as split it could be wound as one winding.

I can not fathom why it provides a 90 degree shift between X and Y, other then note one set of deflection coils is set above and the other below centre frequency so I am assuming one coil will provide a leading voltage the other a lagging voltage, but why? I never was good at theory.

Any simple explanations gratefully accepted as to information on winding such a coil. This is a bit of fun to provide a circular trace on one of my CRT's at a fixed rate, I have a 81KHz crystal on it's way after the festive season. But would like to see if this could also be done at AF frequencies (using valves and transformer!).

The last bit I find hard to understand is the text says that X and Y deflection plates have equal amplitudes, but as deflection plates on the 3DP1 have different sensitivities how does that work to produce a circle?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-24 00-12-39.png
Views:	60
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	223092

I understand more by building not reading I think.

Adrian
Old 24th Dec 2020, 10:50 am   #2
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: 90 degree phase shift circuit help

It is amazing what sleep can do to the brain. As it is talking of resonant frequencies then they must all be wound in the same sense on the same former, providing I can make them resonant just above and below the correct frequency it should work.

Adrian
Closed Thread