UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2020, 7:41 pm   #1
skodajag
Pentode

Default Plessey domestic sets?

Over the years I’ve often come across radio chassis which, I discover, were supplied to the more visible companies by Plessey. In every instance the quality has been, to my untutored eye, very good. Eg the Defiant MSH 938. There are a few general histories of Plessey on the internet, but does anyone know of a specific and detailed account of their involvement in domestic radio?
Old 20th Dec 2020, 8:19 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Plessey domestic sets?

I will have a look to see what it says in the Book Into the Sunrise, the story of Plessey.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 20th Dec 2020, 10:27 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Plessey used to make car radios for Ford until they switched to Blaupunkt circa 1970. When I was working at Plessey Ilford at the time, the staff sales shop was selling off surplus production Ford-badged radios cheaply. One of the engineers that I worked with for a while had been involved in its design. He gave me a copy of its circuit diagram, showed me where to tap in to play my cassette through it, and how to convert from negative earth to positive earth. The Plessey lorries and vans used to display a "Royal Warrant" crest and notice on their cab doors for supply of radios to the Queen. Someone told me that they were bespoke custom jobs but I have no other information about them.
Old 21st Dec 2020, 9:01 am   #4
Beardyman
Hexode

That's interesting skodjag, I have a Defiant MSH902 which, I am reliably informed, has a Plessey built chassis. It would be good to find out a bit more about Plessey in regards they're contract build side. You're right, the quality of the chassis is good. There was no technical information for mine, took months to reverse engineer it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0226.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	222923  
Old 21st Dec 2020, 10:48 am   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

Plessey used to make Defiant TVs too. I was told that the TV production line only made money in the three months following the annual Radio Show, but it made so much money then that it was well worth while keeping it ticking over for the rest of the year. TV production ceased after colour came in, because management were not prepared to invest in developing the new technology, and they were busy with defence contracts.
Old 21st Dec 2020, 11:35 am   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here are a couple of extracts from the Co-Operative Wholesale Society's "DEFIANT Sales & Service Bulletin" from Winter 1965-66. The editorial explains the switch from using Plessey made radios, TVs, etc., to Rank Bush Murphy ones.

Plessey did continue to make specific components for TV (including colour TV) after they ceased set making operations; for example, semiconductors and wound components.

I also attach a photo of Plessey's final dual standard monochrome TV chassis.

On one occasion, Plessey made a couple of d/std monochrome TVs for Grundig (Great Britain) td, which used their penultimate TV chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Defiant Plessey 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	222924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defiant Plessey 2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	222925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defiant 9A61U chassis front view.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	222926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defiant 9A61U chassis rear view.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	222927  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 21st Dec 2020 at 11:40 am.
Old 21st Dec 2020, 11:39 am   #7
audiomagpie
Heptode

Didn't they make some of the Westminster branded sets for Curry's too?

BVWS committee chairman
Old 21st Dec 2020, 2:46 pm   #8
raditechman
Heptode

I think Rediffusion had some Plessy chassis TV sets

John
Old 21st Dec 2020, 3:21 pm   #9
Wendymott
Octode

Were Plessey the First.. "OEM" manufacturer.... ? I.e badge engineered for anyone

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 22nd Dec 2020, 7:09 pm   #10
Brigham
Octode

Plessey made BAIRD-badged televisors in '29.
Old 22nd Dec 2020, 7:20 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, Plessey were a classic 'contract shop' - either building all a particular brand's offerings (to be 'badge-engineered' as necessary) or serving as an infill-manufacturer who would fill demand for a particular model if the main manufacturer found himself short of capacity.

There's a bit about this in "The Setmakers", which comments on how it led to Plessey developing skills in cost-control, flexible staff-management practices and the ability to switch production-lines between different products/models at short notice.

In the early-60s they were building LW/MW transistor portables for both Cossor and Philips/Stella. I had one of each - see this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=593105
Closed Thread