UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2019, 4:40 pm   #161
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Yes I've just watched the Transistor episode David and allowing for jokey humour and an uninitiated audience, it was in another league. Mr Stuckey clearly knows what he is doing and his explanation of a waveform, ie as you might see in a hospital situation, was quite inventive. I thought the re-build of the case was pitched just right. I don't think it needed to be back to the original pristine condition. Sometimes the grateful recipients can seem a little bit flat in their response but that's certainly not the case with Albert, poor chap! You may need the tissues at hand and the forthcoming Dunkirk Veteran might struggle to match this radio story.

Dave
Old 18th Apr 2019, 5:57 pm   #162
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Are any Forum folk acquainted with, or have info on, the "Radio Expert" Mark Stuckey?
I don’t know him personally, but I did drop him a line to compliment him about Episode 1. He wrote back and we exchanged a few messages, which is how I knew the ‘Dunkirk radio’ was coming up. I’d previously found his company website whilst searching for replica HT batteries, of which he manufactures a range.

I don’t think Mark is currently a Forum member.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 18th Apr 2019, 7:01 pm   #163
The Philpott
Dekatron

Anyone associated with 'Northrepps Airport' is likely to be a good sort...the last time i checked Terminal 1 was a mobile home and Terminal 2 was a caravan.

For once, well done BBC, let's hope they keep filing the rough edges off this concept and develop it properly.

Dave
Old 18th Apr 2019, 8:23 pm   #164

Didn't see the "Transistor Radio" on the iplayer of episode 14, only a typewriter, dummy and trophy. Have I missed something?

Old 18th Apr 2019, 8:32 pm   #165
ex seismic
Heptode

Yes, it is apparently episode 16!
Old 19th Apr 2019, 12:09 am   #166
dave walsh
Dekatron

The [1961] Transistor Radio restoration was in episode 1 [of the current Series 4] chaps, dating from Monday the 1st of April. It's still on I -player for another 15 days and we have all been confused.
Don't miss it!

Whoever wrote the description for the second [much earlier] radio on the Beeb Website, didn't know that transistors were entirely absent from WW2 Battlefields.
That Dunkirk, war time, battery valve portable set will be shown this Monday 22nd and it's episode 16.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Apr 2019 at 12:37 am.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 10:53 am   #167
David Simpson
Nonode

Obviously the BBC producers & researchers don't do enough to present technically correct info. Every aspect of Bell Laboratory's development in 1947, and the term "Crystal Triode" being used up to the early 50's, and then the term "Transfer Resistor" (transistor for short) becoming more common usage - - can be Googled easily enough. I'm surprised that Mark Stuckey didn't put them right prior to filming.
Me thinks that the production company & the BBC place more emphasis on the drippy way the experts treat the item owners, and the sad family history behind the item.
Then we have non - BBC programmes such as "Salvage Hunters" & "Wheeler Dealers" who are up front with their mercenary money making aspirations. Drew Pritchard, for all his faults, just has a "buy it cheap/tart it up/flog it quick" attitude to antique/vintage/collectable items. And his electrician follows correct regulation procedures regarding mains equipment's safety/testing/earthing.

Regards, David
Old 19th Apr 2019, 12:31 pm   #168
AC/HL
Dekatron

The [insert programme maker of choice] Producers and Researchers could indeed drill down, they're in a much better position to do so than their target audience. The programme then would struggle to make one series, let alone four. It's daytime viewing for a general audience, not Open University or a narrow audience YouTube video. If it whets anyone's interest in the technical side (or indeed, for others, the artistic side) of life, so much the better.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 12:48 pm   #169
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My recorder is set for episode 16, I really want to know the model and make, and of course if it ties in with that period stated.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 12:55 pm   #170
dave walsh
Dekatron

I'm not even sure if it's those people that do the listings Bill but I would assume they must supply the info Even with the general lack of knowledge when it comes to anything electrical that particularly seems to apply to our "pro arts" society, I'd assume anyone able to see it would know the Dunkirk set wasn't a Transistor Radio.... but maybe I'm just being naive. The program does a good job overall as you suggest and the undoubted weakness on the electronics front seems to have been sorted by the presence of Mr Stuckey, who is far from stuck in his ability to both repair and [more importantly] explain clearly! It's all in the editing though I suppose!

Dave
Old 19th Apr 2019, 3:55 pm   #171

I enjoy the programme, facts are only a weeny bit of it, at least they could get them right.

Old 19th Apr 2019, 7:38 pm   #172
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I find that the program is easy afternoon watching, on at a time when I arrive back home from work, and I sometimes sit and watch it to wind down with a cup of tea. I am interested in the non electrical/mechanical fixes too, as I like to watch skilled people at work, in the hope that I may be able to find out the tricks of the trade. It's aimed at the non technical audience I suspect, who just want to see the experts at work, and are not particularly bothered whether the techy stuff is correct. We, on the forum, are naturally interested in the facts, and the methods used, to compare them with our own experience. Nothing wrong with that either.
Alan.

Last edited by Biggles; 19th Apr 2019 at 7:40 pm. Reason: typos etc
Old 20th Apr 2019, 4:18 pm   #173
David Simpson
Nonode

At last I've found the time to use BBC iPlayer & watch episode1 & the GEC Tranny. With POTS & poor ADSL internet speeds, I very rarely use it - picture freezes from time to time whilst my laptop catches up. However, you wont believe it, the sun was so hot about 2ish this afternoon(north Aberdeenshire) I had to come inside from working out in my wee field. So thought I'd watch episode 1.
Whilst it was a heart rendering story about the old chap's wife dying, then the tranny packing up on the 2nd anniversary of his bereavement - I found it disgusting that the film crew zoomed in on his obvious distress for far too long.
Mark Stuckey - well he seemed to be proficient in fault finding, and I was pleased to see him use an old AVO Minor multimeter. Think I'll wait till Monday's "Dunkirk" program before I make any more comments about him. Certainly a great improvement on that wally they had a year or two back.

Regards, David
Old 20th Apr 2019, 4:55 pm   #174
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

David, download the programme from iPlayer rather than stream it, then you won't get the picture freezing.

Andy
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:05 pm   #175
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks for the tip Andy. Right enough that would be a better option. To tell you the truth, I'm not really a TV - ie, Media - ish sort of guy. Apart from "Bargain Hunt" & the Lunchtime BBC news(12.30 to 13.30), watched whilst taking lunch, we're not daytime TV viewers till 1800 when the ITV Grampian News is on. Despite being past 3 score years & ten & long retired, we've plenty of daytime activities to get on with.
As for "The Repair Shop", last year & the year before, Scottish BBC aired it later in the evening. So we occasionally watched it, even though it was over-drippy at times. Anne used to teach needlework, so found some of the fabric repairs etc. quite interesting, and I like the horologist chap. In fact, referring to this latest episode 1, he came over, as usual, as a bright personality, as did the wifey who repaired the GEC's casing & handle, as did the young lassie who came with the giant teddybear(compared to her father).
As for presenters, they pale into insignificance compared to Fred Dibner, Ben Fogel, Fiona Bruce & one or two others.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Simpson; 20th Apr 2019 at 6:07 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:44 pm   #176
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Suzie Fletcher is actually Steve Fletcher’s sister, not wife!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:57 pm   #177
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've always been more keen on the content than the presentation of this program in the past David but it has struck a chord perhaps with the older "make do and mend" generations and the newer "retros". I think most people have a hope but certainly not an expectation that they can get a bit of their life back and it's often genuinely affecting. As a Capricorn, I'm the first to deride the mis-use of US style emotion. It's available in "buckets" on the programs you don't watch where it is nearly always signalled well in advance and almost built in to the structure!

I was a very positive about Albert's story [in p119*] though, because I thought the overall technical and personal side was very much in balance. His daughter was very supportive and everyone involved seemed affected. It really didn't feel at all exploitative or inappropriate [p131] and I suspect that being able to express how he felt more publicly was a positive experience overall, in addition to getting the set back in working order! Not doing "too good a job" on the case was really quite thoughtful. Of course the amount of upset shown was down to the editing [as I said at p128] not the crew. I'm sure they could have put much more in ....but they didn't!

We will have the Dunkirk story on Monday as a comparator to judge by perhaps!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Apr 2019 at 8:26 pm.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 8:54 pm   #178
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye Phil, I actually didn't know of the family connection. In Scotland, the term "Wifey" just means an older/more mature "Lassie".
Right enough Dave, the story behind "Hovel in the Hills" should inspire a number of folk to get off their backsides & follow that couple's example. Another inspiring current program is "Grand Designs - The Street". Kevin McCloud - another decent knowledgeable presenter.
Back to the Repair Shop - it could be a better program if there was less drippy/drooly sentimentalisation - which diverts attention away from some lovely items such as that caseless clock in episode 1. Another program in the same vein as Repair Shop is - "Salvage Hunters - The Restorers". No drippy/drooly experts down there in North Wales & nearby Merseyside. Just keen interesting informative folk.

Regards, David
Old 20th Apr 2019, 9:19 pm   #179
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Fiona Bruce?Now I am off topic by saying,she was "rear of the year"!

Back indeed to the repair shop ,really looking forward to Mondays episode and to see the 1930,s radio,if indeed it is correct.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 9:34 pm   #180
Oldcodger
Nonode

Might be a tad O/T, but this sort of thing has been going on for years. I'll bet the ladies in houses where hubbies work on /in recycling centres are only too happy to see a clamp down on stuff going out. But it only stops so much. My light box- I could not find lamp fittings or starter sockets anywhere at sensible prices. Quick word in an ear and I had the remains of at least three fittings, with wiring. We save old electronics- these blokes are more than that .
Closed Thread