UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2013, 2:49 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Valve lettering- what was it?

How were valves labelled originally and can it be reproduced. Just to rewrite the number would be good.
Old 11th Sep 2013, 4:00 pm   #2

Default Re: Valve lettering- what was it?

How about a 'silver' felt pen, at least the 'silver' bit wont evaporate being metal. Or a chinagraph pencil, the colour of the white one is alumina (or titania) both are very heat resistant.

Old 11th Sep 2013, 4:38 pm   #3
G4XWDJim
Octode

I've often thought whether a "John Bull" printing outfit and white emulsion paint would produce authentic looking replacement numbers.

Jim
Old 11th Sep 2013, 5:55 pm   #4
threeseven
Octode

I've often wondered what was used as I've noticed that lettering can sometimes just wipe off when cleaning valves with baby wipes in a long unused set.
Old 12th Sep 2013, 8:49 am   #5
HG MICKE
Pentode

I used Adana letterpress ink on a small printing press that printed a mirror image onto a rubber block,the valve was then rolled across the block leaving a positive image on the glass.
We used to buy unprinted valves in bulk and print our own logo and part numbers on them.
Nowadays as I only repair equipment, and the printing press is a bit of a faf to use and clean afterwards, I use a Dormy printing kit with either letterpress ink or a tube of poster paint to print my own date codes on valves that I supply.A very small amount of poster paint or ink goes a long way.

Colin
Old 12th Sep 2013, 12:59 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post
I've often thought whether a "John Bull" printing outfit and white emulsion paint would produce authentic looking replacement numbers.
Slighly uneven, some of the letters faint... Yes, bang on!
Old 12th Sep 2013, 1:29 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Some Manufacturers etch the lettering, as did Mullard/Philips with their manufacturing codes. Pity they all didn't.
Old 12th Sep 2013, 1:58 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Some Manufacturers etch the lettering, as did Mullard/Philips with their manufacturing codes. Pity they all didn't.
I have some old Mullard valves which have been etched with their numbers and the Mullard logo. I tried to photograph it but the etch is so faint it is difficult to obtain a decent picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mullard.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	83986  
Old 12th Sep 2013, 2:21 pm   #9
winston_1
Hexode

On octal type valves just scratch the number on the base with a scriber.
Old 12th Sep 2013, 5:39 pm   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

I would have thought that emulsion will just burn gradually. How about high temperature paint meant for car engines? You can get white and it will stand up to the hot glass.
Closed Thread