UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2013, 7:04 pm   #41
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Best find or buy

I think the best thing I got for nothing was a pair of Tannoy speakers, rescued from the back of a Transit pick up truck on their way to the tip! I didn't know what they were or that they had any value at the time, I just thought they were too good to dump, they were massive cabinets I only just managed to get them both in the car. When I got home and did a google search I nearly fell over at what some had sold for!
I sold them on the internet and got enough cash to replace my ancient Micra with a newer old Micra!
More recently I saw a Dynatron Ether princess for sale,(less amplifier) for 99p!
When I went to collect it the seller refused the 99p and said he had only put it up for sale at that price because he didn't want to dump it and he was just pleased it had gone to a good home.
He had admittedly sold the amp to a Hi fi fiend but had gone to a bit of trouble to rehome the rest.
The only slight sting in the tail was the £70 worth of fuel it cost to fetch it!
My best bargain though must have been my Rock Ola Jukebox bought in the mid 1980's for £50. More than the scrap man had bid apparently...

Rich.
Old 14th Aug 2013, 11:03 pm   #42
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

My best buy was a working Racal RA17 for £6. Second best was a Quad II complete with good KT66s and QCII preamp, a Cossor 1071K 'scope, a huge and heavy Lafayette VHF receiver, and a big box of valves, all for £20. I gave the boatanchor away to a friend but the others are all now restored and working, in my workshop.

Like many of you, I am very lucky to have been given many very nice pieces of equipment over the years, including two Ferrographs, A Grundig 700L, an Avo VCM Mk III, a Bush AC91, a Marconiphone 559, a Regentone Handygram, and many other assorted radios, test gear, valves and components. I am also amazed by the generosity of many people in this hobby!

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 15th Aug 2013, 3:54 am   #43
nickdoofah
Banned

I found this mint tiny stereo radio recorder at a garage sale!

Paid £4 for it - All it needed was a new flat drive belt & some servisol to restore it to perfect working order!

Made in japan & built to a high standard & surprisingly heavy - made in 1980 when solid pressed steel cassette mechs were produced that seem to last & last!!

Had to have it, i had one as a 16 year old & always regretted selling it in 1983

Never thought I would find one again especially in this condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 3T17 - September 2012 - 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	82909  
Old 15th Aug 2013, 11:31 am   #44
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
I bought an Audiolab 8000A amplifier for £2.50 from the Rugby reuse recycle centre at the local tip a few weeks ago when I went there to buy some recycled compost
Unfortunately one can't buy stuff at tips round here, and they watch you like hawks.
Old 15th Aug 2013, 1:54 pm   #45
WorldWar2
Retired Dormant Member

@ nickdoofah here is my Grundig rr340 from about the same time, they look very similar.
This was very well made too

Name:	imagesCABPN9VR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	82918
Old 15th Aug 2013, 3:16 pm   #46
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Best find or buy

Hi,
When I was a wee lad, my brother was going out with a girl who owned a Philips portable tape recorder and I was in love (with the recorder). I have wanted to own one ever since. Well, it's only taken me half a century to get my hand on one!
After searching around at local flea markets, etc. with no joy, my wife found this one amongst a load of rubbish waiting to be taken away. It was missing its cover & handle, but another rummage while 'walking the dog' revealed them. It works reasonably well, considering the slow tape speed.
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Portable Philips recorder.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	82921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable Philips recorder (3).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	82922  
Old 30th Aug 2013, 6:00 pm   #47
reelguy
Heptode

Recently ,At a local boot fair I came across a newish Revox mains connector cable.
Seller wanted £10 but accepted £5 .. Which I thought was reasonable for a revox cable.
But best of all it was in a box with a Revox B 215 Cassette deck.
I don't bother with cassettes normally these days but tried the B 215 out and it works well. Since found out it was a top quality item some years back.. It may be a bit complex for me though...
Only drawback was that the remote was missing.
I will try and attach a pic of the unit later.
Peter W...... happy little Reelguy !
Old 30th Aug 2013, 7:38 pm   #48
reelguy
Heptode

Some pics of Revox B 215.
Peter W.......Reelguy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1001.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	83510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1004.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	83511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1002.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	83512   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1012.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	83513  
Old 5th Sep 2013, 9:50 am   #49
threeseven
Octode

Well that is a bargain of some magnitude!