UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2021, 8:13 am   #21
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: You ruined my day Hermes. Now Seeking Bakelite Wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscope View Post
Amazing how some of you can claim bad packaging from just
that one photo which doesn't show the complete package.

Suggest you you don't assume things you can't see.

Ian
Particularly as people seem to be criticising (though no doubt inadvertently) a fellow forum member without doing them the courtesy of asking what they actually did.

Hugh
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 9:36 am   #22
The Philpott
Dekatron

Indeed. The sender packs things pretty bomb-proof in my experience 'cos he is aware of the nature of bakelite. With certain couriers the items arrive at the hub in a veh. with a tail-lift, and there can be a very long drop from same if mishandled. If something drops onto it's corner (or onto a kerb stone)- things like this can happen.
Dave
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 9:36 am   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

In the light of comments, is it possible to see more photos that portray accurately the nature of the packaging Vis a Vis the size and positioning of the item contained therein? Thanks.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 10:29 am   #24
ajgriff
Nonode

This is the first sentence of Brian's opening post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAllen View Post
I was really looking forward to receiving the Sangamo Weston S68 Three Range Voltmeter recently offered for sale on here and was absolutely shattered when I unwrapped the parcel.
Perhaps this thread is a lesson to us all in terms of the need to properly read previous posts. In some cases it doesn't matter much but on this occasion it's caused unnecessary offence to a fellow forum member.

Alan
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 10:43 am   #25
Station X

Let's wait for the OP to confirm whether the unit was double boxed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 11:04 am   #26
ajgriff
Nonode

Surely the cause of the damage is something for private discussion between Ian and Brian.

Alan
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 2:09 pm   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

We don't encourage Courier discussions, but the afore mentioned Hermes (and probably most others) have a fairly generic page of packing tips on their website: https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help-and-...-wrap-a-parcel
A particularly relevant excerpt is:
Quote:
Help your parcel arrive in pristine condition with our step-by-step guide on how to package a parcel

It’s a long road to get your parcel from you to its destination. Your parcel will:

Travel in different vehicles
Visit more than one sorting hub
Ride several miles of conveyer belt and be sorted by automatic scanners

Miles will be covered. Hills will be climbed. Conveyer belts travelled. Scanners bleeped.

Don’t forget: Your parcel needs to be wrapped well enough to stay intact should it fall off a conveyor belt (which can be up to 1.2m high).
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 2:50 pm   #28
slidertogrid
Octode

Yes the reality is that some couriers and by this I mean employees not the firm are careless. I have used hermes for years with few problems, a couple of lost parcels. one arrived three weeks later battered, crushed and badly taped up where the box had split when crushed. What was more annoying was that it had been door stepped and had presumably been there some time before the house owner returned home. I had double boxed the item ( a big old speaker) and luckily it survived. A radio I sent despite being double boxed the inner box suspended on packing was less fortunate. The (parcel) receiver heard a bang as the courier arrived at her door it seems he dropped it from some height. Despite the packing the chassis had jumped enough to dislodge 3 valves and break the dial glass. You cannot pack to protect against that sort of deacceleration .
I very occasionally buy on auction sites but now I message the seller to ask for the item to be packed well. I politely suggest how to do this. Going back a few years I have had various badly packed items arrive damaged and a few that remarkably arrived ok despite bad packing. The "best" was a Dansette Conquest which had been just wrapped in thin cardboard with the handle sticking out. The courier handed it to me using the handle. luckily it was fine maybe everyone had used the handle and been careful! Worst packing must go to the person that sent me a 78 record in a LP sleeve sellotaped up with the address label stuck to it, needless to say....
A friend works for Royal Mail and he has told me various horror stories. I lot of employees have an attitude much like the one that killed our car industry.
Mail jammed in sorting machines left for weeks (not my job) a blocked conveyor belt dumping parcels onto the floor ignored and more recently mail going out and then coming back undelivered as the employee worked to time and "cut off" at end of shift. He said no one gives a damn!
Rich
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 3:25 pm   #29
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The general rule is, if an item cannot stand a 6 foot drop, then do not send it.

Irrelevant of the carrier, I have this from good authority that it needs to be that safe.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 3:25 pm   #30
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
A friend works for Royal Mail and he has told me various horror stories.
My mother used to work in a local post office and I had various temporary jobs there. When I was a boy (about 60 years ago) I was helping the postmen to sort parcels one day. I threw one parcel on to a heap and was severely told off because it was marked "fragile". In those days parcels were transported by real people who had the ability to read. If something was marked as fragile it was treated accordingly. Nowadays we have machines which can't read and apparently don't take any special care with parcels and if something gets broken it's the senders fault. How times have changed.

Recently I wanted to buy some metal cupboards for the barn (stops mice eating things). Every review of the cupboards said that they had arrived dented and bent. In the end I decided not to buy them online.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 3:27 pm   #31
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
This is the first sentence of Brian's opening post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAllen View Post
I was really looking forward to receiving the Sangamo Weston S68 Three Range Voltmeter recently offered for sale on here and was absolutely shattered when I unwrapped the parcel.
Perhaps this thread is a lesson to us all in terms of the need to properly read previous posts. In some cases it doesn't matter much but on this occasion it's caused unnecessary offence to a fellow forum member.

Alan
If this set was insufficiently well packed - and we have yet to see photograph evidence of any double packaging, making the existing photographic 'evidence' look as though it was poorly packed - then surely the "lesson" is not one of causing offence, but a useful lesson/reminder to all of us to learn how to pack items properly for courier delivery? Speaking for myself I'm certainly not in 'witch hunt' mode. Who sent it doesn't concern me, but what does interest me is to avoid, as much as we can, this kind of thing happening again between members, and to learn from it? And that's something that many, if not all of us can learn from, not just one person. It's not a witch hunt, let's treat it as open discussion about the dangers of courier delivery and the need for good packaging.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 5:48 pm   #32
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I arranged to have a large item delivered to a place where I was working. I worked by the courtyard window and saw the wagon arrive. Chap opened up the rear, climbed in and threw the box out onto the ground.

That is how stuff is treated.

It occurred to me, as he had got to pick it up off the ground and carry it to reception, that it would have been just as quick, and perhaps easier as he wouldn’t have had to stoop to the ground, for him to push the box to the edge, jump down, and then pull it into his arms.

If you think it can’t stand that kind of handling then collect* – which has taken me up and down the country to online sellers – and also given me the pleasure of meeting some nice folk on this forum.

*Admittedly this is easier for some to do than others.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 5:53 pm   #33
Refugee
Dekatron

When I was a student and travelled on the train they used to toss the mail bags to and from the platform. The distance was a platform plus a mail car.
The distance is now the length of the body of a large van.
The packaging requirement remains pretty well the same now.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 6:05 pm   #34
greg_simons
Octode

That's really sickening, as you say it's survived sixty years without a scratch, i once shipped an ecko a22 to Australia, i did think really hard about what might happen in transit, i used a box ten times larger than the radio with bubble packing, it got there safely!.
Greg.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 6:13 pm   #35
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi said courrier after paying for damage to a repaired item that was well packed having got them to resend item i watched the chap stand on pavement and throw (i mean throw) item in to the van that was a well packed ts50 packed in own box with packing around it then another box with packing they still damaged it (smashed front) not used them since. I will go to length to ensure not to have anything sent to me by them. an item was marked delevered it was not 4days later i rang them i was told it had been delevered so i called my cctv in to play when it was finaly delevered the driver placed packet on my doorstep and RAN AWAY having rung bell Mick
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 6:55 pm   #36
stevehertz
Dekatron

Are we going to change the attitude and actions of couriers by listing our collective knowledge of how badly they treat packages? The the short, simple answer is "no". So, either pack suitable for very rough treatment or don't use them.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 6:59 pm   #37
Cobaltblue

As this has moved away from Bakelite repair to packaging its time to close I suggest Brian you start a new thread concentrating on the repair aspects.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 7:31 pm   #38
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
As this has moved away from Bakelite repair to packaging its time to close I suggest Brian you start a new thread concentrating on the repair aspects.

Cheers

Mike T
Well, in fairness I'd say it was a question 50% about repair techniques and 50% about how 'badly' Hermes had treated a parcel, albeit - as far as we can ascertain - an inadequately packaged item. Just read the headline; "You ruined my day Hermes".
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 7:47 pm   #39
BrianAllen
Heptode

Good evening, thank you for your advice and comments; this lid will be repaired and look good again

The purpose of my posting was to no way complain about packaging, it was just a need to get it off my chest, so to speak.

As I am sure most of us will agree, we are custodians of this equipment, be it radios, tape players, test equipment etc etc and we do our best to restore and maintain this equipment to the best of our abilities for the benefit of future generations; not really exciting just having smartphones and ipods etc etc for future generations to get excited about!!

I didn't intend my original post to be about packaging, just needed a moan and advice on how to repair but if all of the comments have been helpful to anyone it hasn't been a waste of anybody's time.

Thank you.

Brian
Closed Thread