UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2021, 3:20 pm   #21
DTEC1966
Triode

Default Re: Dynatron T10a Ether Pathfinder

Well. Bought a transformer linked to a solid state rectifier, like in the mayflower, that ultimately outputs 6.5v a.c on one pair and 240v d.c on the other pair. Connected the
6.5v pair to the T10a connection for lamps and heaters, and the 240v d.c pair to the other T10a connections.( +240dc to live cable and neutral output to neutral T10a cable.

Slowly cranked up the variac and...lights slowly come on but No indication of heating of valves. ie no light/glow emitted from any valve?
Traced the 6.5 volt a.c to all of the valves and it is getting to them.

I have a 50/50 500v smoothing capacitor which I will employ if I can make any progress.
Old 4th Jun 2021, 7:19 pm   #22
vinrads
Dekatron

It's not looking good you need to check all the valves for heater continuity, meter on ohms range, pins 4 and 5. Look for a low reading.

Mick.
Old 4th Jun 2021, 8:57 pm   #23
DTEC1966
Triode

Angry Re: Dynatron T10a Ether Pathfinder

Oh Dear

I have blown every valve. Non of them have connections across the heaters!!!!
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:10 am   #24
vinrads
Dekatron

All is not lost at least you haven't blown any expensive output valves, can you list all the valves you need ? I will start by looking in my stock for you.

Mick.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:22 am   #25
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTEC1966 View Post
So some good news. Checked all the valves this morning against a working Hacker Mayflower and a Bush for the am tube. All survived!
If the heaters are now all open circuit they must have had more than 6.3V applied to them.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:34 am   #26
vinrads
Dekatron

I take it you have the correct pins, looking at the pins count clockwise from the gap, good luck. Mick.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:38 am   #27
Station X

I suppose a simple test would be to try the valves in the Mayflower again, but it would be much simpler to check with a meter.

Does the meter show a low reading when the leads are touched together on ohms range? We've been mislead by DMM readings many times in the past.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:41 am   #28
vinrads
Dekatron

Good point Graham , in the event that they are all duff ,does any one know the line up , Mick.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:54 am   #29
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
good point graham , in the event that they are all duff ,does any one know the line up , mick.

ef89 ech81 ef89 ef89 em80 d77 d77 ecc85
Old 19th Oct 2021, 2:26 pm   #30
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Hello all.

Just came across this thread, hopefully it is not closed.

I have a T10A tuner also, whick I am planning to use in a vintage mono system. It is a separate, and of course without power supply. I did a quick check up on it, and replaced some valves that were either of a wrong type or worn out.
After that I slowly powered it up, and there is (some) life. On AM there is reception, although not so sensitive. It will of course need replacement of capacitors/resistors, and after that an alignment.
On FM it is quite sensitive, but a bit off in the discriminator.

If anyone can help with a schematic, it would be highly appreciated. I did not have any luck searching through the internet. There is not much information to be found. The tuner seems a bit complex, so a schematic would definetely be needed for restoring/alignment.

The former owner replaced a few parts, and especially one electrolytic seems a bit odd to me (47uF/250V). Also, I would like to see in detail, what the job of those small selenium "knob" recifiers is. I believe it has something to do with the indicator/discriminator. As I understand, on FM it works both as a signal level and as discriminator offset indicator. It does have some kind of a strange behaviour when tuning in on FM stations, and in general there is not much action when receiving FM stations. But with the discr. off center I guess that is what to expect. On AM it has full closing on strong stations though (my own in-house AM transmitter).

Best regards,

Jan
Old 19th Oct 2021, 8:49 pm   #31
Synchrodyne
Nonode

As far as I know, the service data for the Dynatron RG16, available from this site as an instant download (https://www.service-data.com/section.php/81/1/dynatron), does include a schematic and other information, including alignment instructions, for the T10a tuner.

You are right that on FM, the tuning indicator acts as combination signal strength and centre-channel device, as briefly outlined in post #19. I imagine that it would produce odd results if the discriminator alignment did not match the IF alignment.

Cheers,
Old 20th Oct 2021, 6:02 pm   #32
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Thank you very much

Since I am in a EU country, instant download is not available due to the new restrictions. I emailed them, and hopefully it will be possible somehow to get the manual anyway. It would certainly be a great help.

Best regards,

Jan
Closed Thread