UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2021, 2:50 pm   #1
pentoad
Hexode

Default Oscillator coil adjustment advice needed please

I need to adjust the coils in my Taylor 68A signal generator. There is a bit of rubber strip between the core and former to prevent movement. I am assuming this will impede adjustment, but have not tried to just in case I might cause damage.
The rubber is still pliable.
Should I introduce some sort of lubricant to ease the adjustment, if so what ? - or is it safe to proceed using a plastic tool made from a knitting needle?
I'm wondering should I purchase a set of tools designed for the purpose.
There is no hurry to carry out the adjustment but clearly I need to bite the bullet at some point as the alignment is a bit out.
Old 14th Oct 2021, 5:53 pm   #2

Default Re: Oscillator coil adjustment advice needed please

The rubber merrily holds the core and has enough flexibility to allow movement. Mind you after time it does go a bit horrible, bits out of knicker elastic are a good replacement. Tools are available, a filed down bit of hard plastic is the same, knitting needles were the old time favorite.

Old 14th Oct 2021, 7:51 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Oscillator coil adjustment advice needed please

Presumably, the core has a slot in its top to facilitate adjustment. Using an appropriate tool, see if that slot is either a shallow groove or if it continues down the axis of that core. If the former, there is the risk of breaking off a piece of the top of the core, making further adjustment impossible. But if the latter, then use a non-ferrous tool that penetrates deep into the core: much less chance of a breakage.

Al.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 7:45 pm   #4
pentoad
Hexode

Default Re: Oscillator coil adjustment advice needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Presumably, the core has a slot in its top to facilitate adjustment. Using an appropriate tool, see if that slot is either a shallow groove or if it continues down the axis of that core. If the former, there is the risk of breaking off a piece of the top of the core, making further adjustment impossible. But if the latter, then use a non-ferrous tool that penetrates deep into the core: much less chance of a breakage.

Al.
The slots were shallow but they did move, but were a bit stiff. I took it gently
and managed to align the lower frequency bands enough for AM radio alignment.
Closed Thread