UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2021, 2:04 am   #1
joebog1
Banned

Default 7 segment LED displays

I wonder if anyone has an idea about high output seven segment LED displays. I have purchased a job lot of 10 display module kits that are generally used with red LED displays.
I am looking for high output .56" GREEN displays, to make viewing voltage and current distinctly different and "visual at a glance". I would prefer analogue meters but they cost about ten times more than 7107 chip kits.

So my question is: Can anybody recommend a common anode green .56" display that I can use. I have already bought some, ( several sources ) but as green leds require considerably different voltages and currents to red leds they fall somewhat short of what I am looking for. The brightness of the red LEDS supplied is excellent and I would like to get a bit closer to the two displays being close to equal brightness.

The displays provided in the meter kits are:
5161BS ( probably locally procured in China for the kits ).
.56 inch seven segment with right hand decimal dot.
I need a different colour. Please.
I "dont think" the current from the 7107 can be increased.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:23 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 7 segment LED displays

Could you not add buffers between the segment outputs from the 7107 and the LED display to get higher current drive to those green LED?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Oct 2021, 11:22 am   #3
Oldcodger
Nonode

Possibly telling Granny how to suck eggs, but mentioning buffers. How about either a CD4049 OR CD4050. The difference is that the 4049 is inverting. The only problem is that each IC contains 6 buffers, so you will need two and the unused inputs need to be tied via a large resistor to either supply line.
Old 14th Oct 2021, 11:09 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

Thanks gents, yes I could add buffers but the reason I have gone this way is to save Vero boarding or designing/making PCB's to fit. I want to use these meters in my valve tester and it's complicated enough already!!. These kits cost $9 aussie ( about 4 1/2 quid ) and are very well presented. All the critical resistors are 1% metal films, decouplers are all monolithic ceramic with known makers' brands on them and the two electros used to generate the negative supply are rated @ 105C. Even the 7107's are made by ICL.

I am trying to cheat I guess, and avoid the manufacturing bit.

I will see if somebody has more experience with these displays and knows of a high or at least higher output version.
Closed Thread