UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2021, 8:59 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Replacement TCC triple capacitor Hillman sewing machine motor

I have the attached capacitor, which was hooked up between two terminals and ground of the motor. The casing's come off and it's leaking gunk. I'm guessing a replacement's in order, but I've not seen one like this before. Are there any suitable modern equivalents people are aware of?

If the image doesn't work, the markings are:

0.025 + 2 x 0.005µF
250V AC
BSS 613
Type S.8255/2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211007_205318.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	242930  
Old 7th Oct 2021, 9:46 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Replacement TCC triple capacitor Hillman sewing machine motor

I guess it's wired in "Delta".

0.025uF Class X across the mains.
0.005uF Class Y from each side of the mains to chassis/ground/earth.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Oct 2021, 10:09 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I see, thanks Station X.

So I'll have to make it up from three discrete parts? Looking for a pre-potted 'Delta' gets very few results.
Old 7th Oct 2021, 10:33 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

Something similar to this? (from Germany) - 1 X type and 2 Y.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232903251844
Old 7th Oct 2021, 10:40 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks, buggies. As soon as I'd posted above I thought of searching "X2 Y2" (since Delta was drawing a blank) and that brought up a number of three-legged options in the UK. However, there're still only a dozen or so, all through eBay, and none are the same (or nearest modern value). I don't know how the values have been arrived at, so I'm not sure if a 0.22µF + 2 x 3300pF would do, for example. The Y element is close, but the X is a power of ten out from the original!
Old 8th Oct 2021, 1:14 am   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The values are not especially critical. It's an interference suppressor that mainly attenuates interference from the brushes that would otherwise radiate from the mains lead and casing, by linking them together at RF. In this motor it is likely to be a case of whatever fits is the right part.

FWIW I also have a Hillman sewing machine motor in which the suppressor went pop and blasted little bits of it out of the vent slots, some 35 years ago. I can't recall what product I replaced the suppressor with.
Old 8th Oct 2021, 11:50 am   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks Lucien. I have come across this non-critical value thing when previously wondering about suppression capacitors, and I haven't found any online sources that explain what to do other than what you suggest - suck it and see. I know the level of engineering expertise on here, so I would be interested to read what the requirements are considered to be, since there are so many values produced there must be some reason!

For now I'll get one of the three-legged eBay options since they'll fit in the case. The whole Hillman motor is beautifully constructed from metal with threaded holes, far better than other plastic sewing machine motors I've repaired.
Closed Thread