UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2021, 6:25 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Busy & unavailable Tone

I hope this post is acceptable, it is to do with mobile phone networks.
I have recently discovered that following asking for voice mail to be deactivated from my mobile phone, that incoming callers who call me are getting a unobtainable tone causing the caller on a landline phone to receive a "number not recognised" message.
This happens when the mobile phone is engaged and also when switched off and I assume also when the mobile is "out of range"
If my mobile phone is not engaged then it rings normally when called.
My mobile provider, "Plusnet" seems to think this is normal operation.

Has anybody else come across this problem with their mobile provider.

Thanks
Mike
Old 31st Aug 2021, 7:47 pm   #2
198 kHz
Triode

Default Re: Busy & unavailable Tone

Definitely not normal.

When I bought my last mobile a couple of years ago, it was a few weeks before I got round to enabling voicemail. In that interim period, callers would get 'engaged' if I was on a call, and a message along the lines of "currently not available, please try later" if switched off or out of range.
This was with EE, the carrier that Plusnet piggy-back onto.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 7:53 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198 kHz View Post
Definitely not normal.

When I bought my last mobile a couple of years ago, it was a few weeks before I got round to enabling voicemail. In that interim period, callers would get 'engaged' if I was on a call, and a message along the lines of "currently not available, please try later" if switched off or out of range.
This was with EE, the carrier that Plusnet piggy-back onto.
I agree that would be the normal response to expect, at least it was in my Telecom management days.
I just wondered if things were changed recently.
thanks
Mike

Last edited by crackle; 31st Aug 2021 at 7:59 pm.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 9:08 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

I put two mobiles (with no answer service) into "airplane" mode and called them from a BT landline.
O2 mobile - female voice "it has not been possible to connect your call"
3 mobile - female "sorry you can't leave amessage" followed by portion of an auto male voice with something like "press 2 to leave for somebody else"

Not easy to try with engaged as not enough hands...