UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2020, 7:17 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Mixed memories of ALBA Radio and Television

Must admit, I've never really thought of Alba as a real 'quality' brand.

I bought some Alba tuners/amplifiers/speakers/record/cassette-decks from one of the backstreet London brown-box-warehouses in the 70s and sold them on to my student-cohort at a decent profit - they were seen as a rung-higher-up-the-ladder than Ferguson/Amstrad - maybe on the same rung as Goodmans - but well below the likes of Trio-Kenwood/Sony/Aiwa/Marantz/Akai.

Brand-Quality perception is a strange and fickle thing. Most people these days would think of Alba as a cheap-and-cheerful brand for clock-radios/kitchen-radios and such, totally oblivious to the 'faintly upmarket' image they had in their grandparents' days.
Old 22nd Dec 2020, 3:55 pm   #22
agardiner
Octode

I had an Alba 5" B&W TV back in the 80s along with 2 of their CD players. All sourced from elsewhere I suppose, but they did still have a service department which I visited when one of the CD players developed a fault. I think that was in their twilight years however, and didn't they merge with Bush around that time?
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 12:27 am   #23
Richard_FM
Nonode

My brother had an Alba radio / tape recorder in 1985 as a birthday present, which was an OK performer (I still have some home recordings using the built in mic) but after a few years something broke in the tape mechanism.

I imagine it was made in the Far East and badge-engineered.
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 2:30 am   #24
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The valve portable radiogram with wind-up motor - part of image 2 in the leaflet in post 13 - was quite a nice item in an unusual category. I had one many years ago, I think it was the variant fitted with turnover cartridge making it compatible with microgroove records. Big and heavy, though, and not an ideal choice for any role other than as a picnic instrument for folk sufficiently well-to-do at the time to own a vehicle. There were better compact mains-driven radiograms for static situations.

Paul
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 8:09 am   #25
Radio Wrangler

I'd always seen the Alba name as meaning something very down-market. Fidelity was mentioned as the only one lower. I hadn't known of their better past. Having seen their later products, I wasn't likely to go looking.

Then, walking past an antique shop in Jedburgh which all to frequently had a brass crapophone in the window, I saw a decent-looking wooden, floor-standing console, wind-up gramophone. Too big for me. THe name on the inside of the lid: Alba.

I suppose it was a case of Alba pursuing greater profit from the cheaper end of the market under their own impetus, long before the brand name itself got traded. Unlike Goodmans who got traded as a brand, and then turned to tat.

Dazzlevision's post links Alba, Harvard, and Crosley. Now there's an unholy trinity of names!

David
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 3:41 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The wind-up portable gramophone is listed as being AC/DC powered; it would therefore have been an interesting solution to the "friends living in a mix of houses with AC and DC mains" issue, since it would be agnostic as to which supply was involved.
Old 27th Dec 2020, 1:54 pm   #27
electronicskip
Nonode

Think the last thing i owned under the Alba name was a CB Handheld unit which i believe i still have.
Bought it from Selfridges in Oxford if memory serves when i was working in Oxford.