UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2020, 10:24 am   #61
dave_n_t
Hexode

Default Re: Listening to the radio in the shed

To return to 'workshop listening'....

Some great ideas in this thread; thanks, everyone.
(In particular, Dismuke is right up my street).

Two I've not heard mentioned are WETA (a US Public Broadcast station, classical music, with US news bulletins, weather forecast, and fundraising a few times a year); and Radio Swiss Classic - classical, with announcements in (Swiss-)German, and, seemingly, no chatter.

dave
Old 5th Feb 2020, 10:54 am   #62
Panrock
Nonode

Looking now at the workshop set rather than the programmes, here's my 'workshop hack'.

A 1947 Murphy A122, it was restored many years ago and has since led a hard life, spending most of the time picking up the signal from the SSTran pantry transmitter down the garden in the house. It's proved very reliable.

Let's see your workshop sets!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9250.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	198433  
Old 5th Feb 2020, 11:24 am   #63
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post

Let's see your workshop sets!
My humble workshop set is a Ferranti U1003, link to the story of, here:- https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=143293 and a photo below (hopefully).

Thanks due to those who've suggested stations to listen to, currently enjoying Radio Dismuke, yesterday enjoyed Ace Café radio, though the occasional motorcycle sound effects between tracks can make you jump!

Have since found Scala and Pirate FM (Cornwall) all running from an old Raspberry Pi.

Makes a change from the local blah-blah stations.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Tuned to Radio 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	198434  
Old 5th Feb 2020, 12:16 pm   #64
PsychMan
Octode

I run several small transmitters in various locations streaming internet radio from old iphones or spoken word stuff from Ipos. UK 1940s radio gets a lot of play.

Archive.org is full of old radio shows including recordings of dance bands not seen elsewhere. Complete with period adverts for cigarettes and the like. I download these and stick them on to an ipod for AM listening, but they can be streamed too

You can search or filter from this link:
https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

For spoken word I've found various archive sites for the blind offer some amazing downloads of things not available elsewhere. If you like old Sci Fi stuff for example, you may have weird via various internet radio stations the original star trek series (audio description version) as produced for the visually impaired. Its great to listen to as you have all the original actors voices, along with a narrative to fill in the gaps.
Old 5th Feb 2020, 1:03 pm   #65
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Having listened to Radio Dismuke* * Where did they get that name and what does 'dismuke' mean?
https://www.houseofnames.com/dismuke-family-crest
Old 5th Feb 2020, 2:39 pm   #66
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Returning to the original "listening" enquiry from the OP I do still enjoy WWOZ the dedicated Jazz Channel out of New Orleans, from time to time. It had to move up the hill after Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent flooding that took out everything else, including cell phones! Seems to be going from strength to strength these days but not pronounced OZ as in "The Wizard Of" but rather "Oh Zee!". Around that time I was using my [rather over specified] Nems Clarke 1500 series receiver [Nasa] for FM Broadcast reception in the garage.

I didn't expect "Dismuke" to have such a distinguished pedigree. It's a bit like an East Enders actor having an apparent connection to Royalty [Mr 'Dire'].
Further to 'Woke', today's Clair In The Community Cartoon chimes with the previous clarification made on here. Claire [Surprised] "The Right have appropriated woke as a term of abuse". It's incredible how quickly they can weaponise a word." Megan [indignantly] You're telling me ... I mean they could have at least waited until I found out what it meant

Dave W
Old 13th Feb 2020, 4:05 pm   #67
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Listening to the radio in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Al, maybe you'd prefer Serenade radio. Less chat on there, but, to me, Angel Radio usually gets the balance just about right. Have you tried listening to Radio Dismuke?
I now occasionally listen to Radio Dismuke, Serenade Radio & Angel Radio.

Al.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 8:07 am   #68
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Havn't listened to music radio since radio Caroline in the 80's when I lived on a boat. I used to like the ding ding of the bell and other nautical touches. Now listen to play lists I put together on Youtube., this is slightly marred by tracks that keep getting deleted, i'm then racking my brains to figure out what said track was.

Andy.