UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:46 pm   #1
bobhowe
Heptode

Default What Radio Stations Do You listen To On FM LW MW SW & What Radio?

As per title i listen to Radio 2 on Fm on my Bush VHF 61 & Greatest Hits Radio on MW on my Bush DAC90A kind regards Bob
Old 21st Aug 2021, 1:16 pm   #2

Default Re: What Radio Stations Do You listen To On FM LW MW SW & What Radio

Radio 4 on FM off air, 4 Extra and the World Service FM via a "Car DAB adaptor" on the Hacker Hunter and the A22 using a pantry "modulator", I can listen to the A22 with an aerial but only to prove it can be done. For HiFi I listen to the same stations via a Freeview box, it has 4 Extra in stereo.

Old 21st Aug 2021, 8:13 pm   #3
dglcomp
Heptode

4extra or Solent on the under counter Lidl radio in the kitchen (4x DAB, Solent FM).

At work BBC R2 FM either via a Roberts Solar DAB 2 or a Roberts RSR-50 (which needs a new speaker so I listen in mono with it panned to the one good speaker).
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:32 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

In bed this morning listening to 5Live on MW on the McMichael Mains Duplex Four c1932 switching to R4 on LW once the reactance control went out of range. At breakfast listening to 5Live on MW on the wall mounted Sailor 96D/66TS c1966 then rest of the day BBC Wiltshire on Revo Pico DAB (£1 at car boot)
Neil
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:41 pm   #5
mole42uk
Nonode

BBC Home Service (I believe it’s popularly known as R4 these days) and the Third Programme

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 21st Aug 2021, 10:17 pm   #6
Spec-chum
Tetrode

Most of the FM band here is taken up by Capitol stations that just play the top 10 on repeat all day long for the younger listeners. Smooth I've noticed has gone the same way too, bit like playing the same greatest hits compilation cd everyday. On FM I've just 3 stations stored on my car radio where I do most of my radio listening, Lincs FM, Radio 2, and Smooth. Rarely listen to AM, but when I do it's Classic Gold, or Radio 5.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:25 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Occasionally, Classic FM.
Al.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:39 pm   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

Usually Radio Hauraki, but I monitor Life FM from time to time seeing I help with local maintenance, and work a bit with Cave FM (terrible website), but can't pick them up well from where I am (their transmitter is on the other side of the Hokonuis, co-siting with of our Life FM sites).

Oh and when I was in Christchurch I tuned into Brian FM for a bit - they seem to do the same kind of "tweaking for fortuitous coverage" that I did when looking at freqencies. I identified an out-of-raster frequency for Life FM and we beamed it into Invercargill from a mountain 80km north of here at 2 kW, they are broadcasting into Christchurch on an out-of-raster frequency at Mount Hutt Skifield at about 300 watts. In both cases we've got good coverage without paying what the duopoly of NZME and Mediaworks pay for frequencies to keep the little guys out...
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:47 pm   #9
ITAM805
Nonode

France Musique in the car, on FM, it's one of my 'local' stations Streaming when indoors
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 9:17 am   #10
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Radios 4 and 3 on Panasonic RF-9000 in the sitting room and Bose Wave in the kitchen: many other radios get used, but more sporadically. Sometimes in the last few weeks Caroline, mostly on a Fidelity Comet. Swivelling the 45 lb. RF-9000 for best MW reception as its manual recommends would be unappealing even if it lived on a deep enough platform to allow the procedure.

Paul
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 11:10 am   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: What Radio Stations Do You listen To On FM LW MW SW & What Radio?

I barely listen to anything off air anymore, mostly because of the quality of the content... if I do then it’ll probably be Absolute radio on MW, until the adverts come on then it’ll get switched off! Radio Caroline sounded quite interesting the other night, so I might be listening to that more often. Most listening will be done in the workshop, so I could listen on any number of radios, but the main ones that are plugged in or have batteries in them at the moment are the Ekco AC86, and the Sony ICF-2001D. I’ve also got an Ultra Coronation Twin on the bench so that’s been getting a run too recently. I don’t bother with any stations on FM, LW I can’t seem to get anything but noise, and I’ve not really explored SW! More often than not I’ll have one of the MiniMod’s running with my own music.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 6:22 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've always been someone who's more interested in hearing a station rather than listening to it.

Tuning around, once I've identified a station I pick up, I tune on.... [does this mean I have an attention-deficit disorder?]

Personally, I always like weekend listening - specially Sunday mornings - because that's when you can guarantee to hear a lot of free-radio stations between 6.1 and 6.5MHz.

The Dutch ones seem to put down a rather good signal into the UK; easily listenable-to on my Pye P75, and better-received on my WWII-era Pye PCR2 or the later 'Pseudo-Larkspur' military R209 using a 100-foot end-fed wire as antenna.

Ah, memories of the 'sixties pirate-stations....
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 10:35 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

Last couple of hours, BBC WS on 12095 including Newshour via Eddystone 670A (denigrated by some as "DAC90A in a tin box" but not a bad broadcast listening set). Of course, WS is available on the BBC DAB multiplex with boringly consistent clarity but it doesn't seem right without bouts of fading, QRM and QRN! Mystery 21 on 4865 (or thereabouts....) brings back shades of the merry nightime melee of the now sadly diminished 49m Europa band, the daytime counterpart being Caroline 648 through whichever radio currently deserves a good few hours of use.

Otherwise, R4 for admittedly sometimes embarassingly middle-class satire, current affairs and documentary, R3 for when you just wish to adjourn to another and more restful planet....
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 10:47 am   #14
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I do listen to more radio than watching TV. In the morning I am woken up by my 25 year old Panasonic radio alarm tuned to BBC R2 on FM. On the way to and from work the car radio is also mostly tuned to BBC R2 on FM. Where I work is a radio reception black spot so here I have to use internet radio.
Back home in the evenings using my 1990's Philips Kettle Jug radio I listen to a few different stations. For music Radio 2 on FM, Absolute on 1215Khz AM, For the news and shipping forecast Radio 4 on 198Khz, For sport coverage BBC R5L on 693Khz and for music local news and sport BBC R Bristol on FM.
Late evenings I listen to BBC R4 and the BBC World Service on 198KKHz via a few of my more vintage radios such as the Bush TR130, ITT Colt and Tiny Super, and Binatone Mustang. My Bush TR130 is the original with the band spread feature dating from 1965 or 1966.
I am also a keen DX'er and listen to more distant radio stations on short wave such as BBC World Service typically from Ascension, Madagascar, Singapore and Woofferton, R Romania International, VoA, Voice of Greece etc mostly using one of my four portable short wave radios, Grundig Satellite 700, Grundig Yacht Boy 400, Sony ICF7600GR and Degen 1103.
For more distant Medium wave reception of stations such Manx Radio on 1368Khz, Greatest Hits via Huddersfield on 1503Khz, BBC Radio 4 via Redruth on 756Khz, and until recently BBC R Ulster on 1341Khz.
I mainly use either my Hacker Hunter RP38A or my Bush TR130.

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 23rd Aug 2021 at 11:02 am.
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 11:10 am   #15
kellymarie
Pentode

I to am a keen DXer I enjoy tuning mediumwave at nite to see what can be found have heard a few US stations and Russian commercial stations also lots from arabia which is just a DX catch definatley not listenable for long. Indoors it's either heart or greatest hits radio on VHF or occasionally absolute radio on mediumwave
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 11:00 pm   #16
murphy512
Pentode

At the moment listening to Artic Outpost Radio AM 1270 transmitting from Svalbard on my Philco A355. The station is received over the internet and connected to my Sstran AMT300 mw transmitter. Lots of oldies.
Old 24th Aug 2021, 2:01 am   #17
majoconz
Heptode

RNZ National wakes me up just before 7am with the news and weather on a Tecsun PL600. Then its Magic FM at the breakfast table on a Nordmende Globetrotter. General duties until lunchtime 1pm with the TV One news on the telly with the sound going through a Sony stereo FH-E828. Late afternoon I head to the 3rd bedroom and turn everything on and spend a couple of hours playing in there.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All tidy sml.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	239937  
Old 24th Aug 2021, 3:51 am   #18
Pfraser
Pentode

Occasionally BBC Wales on 882kHz. Believe it or not, I do miss BBC Radio Devon's 990kHz service. It was a steady signal on my kitchen radio, a Roberts R9962. Unlike FM!

Sundry tuning around on MW, with a Xhdata D-808.

North Korea on 9425kHz or 12015kHz. Evocatively distant, stilted and unique. Ladies' choirs and top-cut audio. There used to be a jammer in the background, for that extra Cold War vibe. Heard on the Xhdata or a Tecsun PL-380.

I dip into the frequencies used by Channel 292 of Bavaria:- 3955kHz, 6070kHz, 9670kHz. Useful as indicators of propagation. Currently offering religious fare as a programming sustain service.

BBC Radio 2 - on FM, although on a Sony XDR-S400DBP, which also does DAB. I just don't like the sound of Radio 2 on DAB.

BBC Radio Devon, on the Sony, on FM. Same reasoning. (This receiver is for use outside the kitchen!)

BBC 5 Live and World Service, on Radio Devon and R4 FM frequencies respectively.
Old 24th Aug 2021, 8:02 am   #19
Beardyman
Hexode

I've got a Car DAB converter for the FM sets (Ultra 930, Bush VHF90A etc) which gets "tuned" to quite a variety of stations, sometimes Angel Radio who play music from the 20's to the 60's but, for some reason, it always sounds rather bass-less? I've tried it on all my sets & the result is the same so I'm assuming its at the transmit end of things. Sometimes tune to Smooth on MW although the content can be a little maudlin. Occasionally hook up the Spitfire to the DAB box which can be interesting, the remaining stations are all related to sport which has no interest for me. Can just about get Radio 4 on LW but only sometimes. I've tried SW on a few occasions but around here there's a lot of interference.
Old 24th Aug 2021, 8:20 am   #20
cathoderay57
Nonode

R4 and R3 FM on my Graetz Sinfonia 3262. Also Euro pirate stations on SW 48/49m at weekends using a variety of receivers including an Eddydtone 750. Jerry
Closed Thread