UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2021, 10:25 am   #1
Slothie
Octode

Default Pimp my MK14

Well in between other things I've been upgrading my MK14, or at least making it a little more aesthetic. Not quite perfect yet, holes are the wrong size and the keys are a little strange, wonkey and horrific to print (still a newbie with my 3D printer) but the results are encouraging!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210823_101211.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	239900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210823_101225.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	239901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210823_102303.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	239902  
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 1:19 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Pimp my MK14

I'm in the market for one of the key bezel / surrounds but I would need it to be able to accommodate the clear capped switch tops rather than printed buttons (I just like them made that way). Maybe you've made your printed tops the same overall size as the clear capped tops, maybe not? Great effort, anyway. Oh, just realised you've made an undertray for it as well - that's definitely a first.
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 1:25 pm   #3
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I'm in the market for one of the key bezel / surrounds but I would need it to be able to accommodate the clear capped switch tops rather than printed buttons (I just like them made that way). Maybe you've made your printed tops the same overall size as the clear capped tops, maybe not? Great effort, anyway.
I used the clear cap types to take measurements from, so it would probably work. I'm at this moment printing a new version that should be a better fit with holes actually large enough to get the right size screws in (!) so I'll check with the other buttons. I'm pretty sure they are 11mm square. I allowed 11.5mm and they are a bit loose, so I've reduced that a touch. Hopefully not too much. The idea is to keep the keys straight but still allow them to press!
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 2:10 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I don't know if you have provided any kind of standoffs on the undertray but it might need cutaways to allow original edge connectors to fit onto the edge connectors - those connectors need a fair bit of height and depth both above and below the PCB.

If there are standoffs, then how about also including fixing holes in the undertray so that it can be screwed to a baseplate or chassis or the inside of a larger enclosure using screws with countersunk heads - one problem with both original MK14s and the issue VI is how to mount them onto any kind of backboard or chassis when the only screw holes provided on the PCB are those intended for the keypad.
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 5:33 pm   #5
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
I don't know if you have provided any kind of standoffs on the undertray but it might need cutaways to allow original edge connectors to fit onto the edge connectors - those connectors need a fair bit of height and depth both above and below the PCB.

If there are standoffs, then how about also including fixing holes in the undertray so that it can be screwed to a baseplate or chassis or the inside of a larger enclosure using screws with countersunk heads - one problem with both original MK14s and the issue VI is how to mount them onto any kind of backboard or chassis when the only screw holes provided on the PCB are those intended for the keypad.
Yep, got you covered on that. I do think a few extra supports around the edge might help, but I didn't want anything too close the the heatsink (PLA softens at 80 degrees....) and the main stress is on the keyboard area which is well supported.

I measured the size of my edge connector and left a generous margin. Its a a bit big now with dupont connectors but thats OK. The screw go through the keyboard holes and the back, and there are hexagonal recesses for the nuts at the back. By coincidence rather than careful planning with the keyboard surround 20mm bolts are exactly the right length! If only I had made the holes big enough for M3 nuts I wouldn't have had to use the M2.5 nylon bolt you see. So a Mk2 version is on the cards in future when I see if there are any other reasonable additions I can make.

I didn't make a top for the case, I kind of like seeing all the bits and bobs! The bottom just makes me less nervous about shorting things and putting it down on static-y surfaces. That said I might make a full case for my PIC14 so its more portable.

Edit: Some mounting holes on the bottom wouldn't be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tray.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	239923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210823_172728.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	239924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210823_173005.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	239925  

Last edited by Slothie; 23rd Aug 2021 at 5:37 pm. Reason: Update
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 6:51 pm   #6
Mark1960
Octode

Looks good. If you do make a top cover you probably need to include a cooling fan for the heatsink and the proms.

Probing the orton view I keep resting my wrist on the proms and thinking how hot it gets, so I’ve added a couple of clip on heatsinks that I’ve had floating around. Now I need to make sure I don’t rip open my wrist on the edges of the heatsinks.
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 8:48 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Interesting that Slothie chose to include the PCB revision number (V1.2) as well as 'Issue VI' on the key bezel. I take it that's because the keypad geometry on rev 1.3 will exactly match that of original MK14s, especially issue V?
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 9:51 pm   #8
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Interesting that Slothie chose to include the PCB revision number (V1.2) as well as 'Issue VI' on the key bezel. I take it that's because the keypad geometry on rev 1.3 will exactly match that of original MK14s, especially issue V?
Yes, I took the location of all the holes and the edge cuts from the mk14.keycad_pcb file. I was able to check it because I can use a plugin for FreeCAD to create 3D models of the PCB which I can convert to STL and import into OpenSCAD (which I used to model the keyboard cover and bottom tray) to check the alignment.

One correction in the hypothetical Rev1.3 will be to correct the location and size of the keyboard mounting holes. and to make them symmetrical so that the RH holes are the same distance from the edge of the keys as the LH side, as well as possibly making the PCB the same size..

That said, revision 1.3 is still in the pre-vapourware stage with only one other extra feature planned (bringing NENOUT and NBREQ out to the edge connector for completeness).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tray2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	239931  
Closed Thread