UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 24th Mar 2024, 11:21 am   #1
sennsai
Tetrode

Default Lowther cabinet speakers, type?

I have these Lowther speakers but not sure of the model type. The cabinet rear has the horn opening at the bottom, and there is another PM6 unit (not actually fitted in my case) at the top, angled backwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lowther 1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	295335  
sennsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2024, 12:58 pm   #2
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Default Re: Lowther cabinet speakers, type?

Those look like a DIY cabinet rather than a factory-supplied one. Lowther sold/sells plans for cabinets for home construction.

I wonder what the knob controls. Level of the rear PM6 perhaps? There was an enclosure called Panoramic Twin Acousta made for two PM6s, but the factory picture doesn't look like yours. There was also the Auditorium Acousta which used two PM6 units, but again looks nothing like your picture, but does have a level control.

It reinforces my suggestion that the cabinets you have were a DIY project, probably based on one of the twin-driver enclosures.

S.
Sergeauckland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2024, 1:57 pm   #3
sennsai
Tetrode

You could be right, however they look professionally made, 20mm panels, machined mitres, and proper grills and badges. Could be another company that made them. I recall that a few years ago I did identify, one version had single unit and mine the twin units, possibly the number 200 and "compact" in the model type, but can't so far find the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lowther 5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	295338  
Old 24th Mar 2024, 2:30 pm   #4
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Looking through my references (mostly HiFi Yearbooks, 1968-79) I can't find any Lowther enclosures with either Compact or 200 in their designations.

Lowther are still around, so maybe you could send them some photos and they may be able to identify either the design or the constructor.

www.lowtherloudspeakers.com
Lowther Loudspeaker Systems Ltd.
26, Foots Cray Lane, Bexley DA14 4NR
020 8300 9166

S.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 6:59 am   #5
steve ss
Tetrode

OK.

This may help!

See link:

http://www.lowther.co.kr/product/Bicor200.htm

enjoy Steve ss.
Old 28th Mar 2024, 7:59 pm   #6
sennsai
Tetrode

Thank you, as mentioned I did spot something similar a good while ago, but couldn't locate it. I now can follow up on this.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 11:11 am   #7
sennsai
Tetrode

Thank you all, I've identified them as Bicor 2000 design. I didn't realise that Lowther don't make cabinets, just the drive units. Lowther must license the cabinet makers to badge them with the Lowther name, etc.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 12:30 pm   #8
Sergeauckland
Pentode

I don't know whether Lowther ever manufactured cabinets, I assume that like many loudspeaker manufacturers, they had them made for them, but certainly in the 1970s they sold complete loudspeakers.

In about 1973 I needed a loudspeaker for my lab at work, and visited the Lowther factory, as they were well regarded at the time. Sadly, I really didn't like what I heard, and subsequently bought an IMF ALS40 for the lab. I actually bought a pair of TLS50s, one of the pair of which had been damaged slightly, and was offered the pair at a good price. Having taken them home for the weekend, decided to keep them for myself, and bought the single ALS40 for the lab.

I think Lowthers are an acquired taste, as using a single driver with 'whizzer' cone, neutral isn't one of their attributes. They are very efficient, so flea-powered amplifiers, especially of the SET variety, can work.

S.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 3:09 pm   #9
sennsai
Tetrode

These were bought a good while ago and not used. They are based (as I now understand) on the principle "balanced pressure double horn-loaded" but I need the rear pair so they probably won't sound "right" until these 2 units are installed, neither would, I suppose, just blanking off the hole.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 4:02 pm   #10
steve ss
Tetrode

Ok.

This may answer some of your questions!

See link:

https://www.lowtherloudspeakers.com/...udspeaker-kits

enjoy Steve ss.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 4:02 pm   #11
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennsai View Post
These were bought a good while ago and not used. They are based (as I now understand) on the principle "balanced pressure double horn-loaded" but I need the rear pair so they probably won't sound "right" until these 2 units are installed, neither would, I suppose, just blanking off the hole.
I may be biased, but I can't see those ever sounding 'right' even with two drivers, depending if one's idea of 'right' being neutral and uncoloured. I suppose it depends on what one is used to, but those used to the BBC LS5/8, B&W 801s (originals, not the current incarnation) or indeed more modern monitors like Genelec or K&H won't find the Lowther sound terribly pleasant.

Still, they do have a following.

S.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 7:51 pm   #12
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Fair comment - the horn loading gives them a certain something, much as the geometry of Decca FFSS pickups gives them a quality some revere - not that either hasn't been superseded long since...
Ted Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2024, 8:41 pm   #13
vidjoman
Dekatron

I bought a pair of Lowther Acousta speakers in 1962. Fitted with PM6 drivers they had a sound that was crisp and clean compared to most other speakers I had heard at the time. I had many stereo records and used a Shure cartridge with a Rodgers amplifier with about 8 watts per channel. The speakers were very efficient and produced a great amount of sound for a very small input. They were claimed to be about 25% efficient compared to most others that were only about 5%. The complex cabinet with horn loading of the driver and the huge magnet helped. I had some stereo recordings that had been difficult to tell the difference between muted trumpets and tambourines but they were easily distinguished on the Lowther speakers.
I lived only about 6 miles from the factory in Bromley and collected directly from there and met the cabinet maker who made them. At the time they were made from blockboard and he cut the pieces from 8 x 4 feet sheets by hand. A proper cabinet maker who did all the build. Cutting, building, veneering and varnishing were all superbly carried out. It was a very small business at the time consisting of Donald Chave, his wife who answered the phone and did the paperwork, and just 2 or 3 others.
They do have a following and have lasted for a long time compared to many other businesses.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2024, 9:05 pm   #14
sennsai
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennsai View Post
I may be biased, but I can't see those ever sounding 'right' even with two drivers, depending if one's idea of 'right' being neutral and uncoloured. I suppose it depends on what one is used to, but those used to the BBC LS5/8, B&W 801s (originals, not the current incarnation) or indeed more modern monitors like Genelec or K&H won't find the Lowther sound terribly pleasant.

Still, they do have a following.

S.
That's what I feared, just would like to have heard them complete, but that's going to be expensive, so it's a choice of that or selling as they are.

Incidentaly, my usual speakers are Quad 57s plus several Decca cartridges. Also, a pair of kapellmeister single-unit transmission line made to the original Vivian Capel design, but not used then for years. They need equalisation, however I bought recently a quality equaliser that I have not yet had time to set up.