UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2020, 8:42 pm   #61
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Vortexion reel to reel tape recorder WVA series 5

Is it a shockley diode
Old 28th Oct 2020, 9:07 pm   #62
Luxman1050
Octode

Em interesting so thyroristor. So it's either on or off no inbetween. So not enough current no latching. So in effect you need to force an increase in current to get it to latch. Plus having a snubber network resistor capacitor. So in effect it seems I've increased the current hence caused it to latch ie open so there obviously was not enough current going through it. I know it's a bit more complicated than that but interesting. So it's not your typical bridge rectifier at all. Or even a normal type of diode.
W V B is different gz30 I have the ez81. Plus 32uf cap not 8uf. So that resistor I changed linked to the valve rectifier depending on switch mode as well as heaters. Em.
Good check tomorrow.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 9:14 pm   #63
ms660
Dekatron

I've lost the plot now.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Oct 2020, 1:21 pm   #64
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hope I have not confused the issue by suggesting that the bridge rectifier may be at fault.

It was just another area to check out in terms of the bias measurement/set-up, if the bias generation circuitry checked out OK.

David
Old 29th Oct 2020, 1:58 pm   #65
ms660
Dekatron

The bridge rectifier/meter circuit would have been the first thing I would have checked.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Oct 2020, 7:00 pm   #66
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm1christopher View Post
Anyone know the exact spec of this diode like I say I've never seen one before its obviously a bridge vf rectifier so low voltage but as usual not having the correct schematic or parts list don't help.
Cheers Chris
It`s a Westinghouse copper oxide rectifier bridge designed specifically as a meter rectifier. They were common in the fifties and sixties, probably before that - I`m fairly sure they are used in some AVOs

If you need to replace it in this application probably a bridge made from any small signal diode would do, germanium or schottky types would be best.
Closed Thread