UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2022, 9:11 pm   #1
Millay_2010
Hexode

Default Silver painted plastic radio case

In the 70s and 80s it was common to accent plastic with silver lines etc. Has anyone tried recreating this finish. I've used plastikote chrome effect on radio grills to great results but think it may be too shiny and uneven on the plastic. I attach a photo of my Guinea pig radio for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220703_174005.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	260354  
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 9:48 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Silver painted plastic radio case

I bought an aerosol can of silver paint intended for alloy wheels in Poundland a few days ago (£1).

It is very thin paint, at the runniest end of the aerosol paint spectrum, but where you get it right, the finish is not bad.

If I use it again, I will ensure that both the paint and more especially the surface to be painted is very warm, so the solvent flashes off quickly.

B