UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2022, 5:33 pm   #21
pip5678
Pentode

Default Re: Machine polishing Bakelite

Am I right in saying that you hold Bakelite pieces against the edge of 'grinding wheel', edgewise type mop? That seems fine, I get that, but have you done it with a large item like a Bakelite radio?[/QUOTE]

Yes this is so - easiest done on a new mop before the diameter has worn down too much so the radio cabinet has good clearance from the grinding machine. Smaller parts like knobs and telephone handset parts are easier and worn down mops will do for these.

The mops fix on to a conical threaded spigot which attaches to the grinder spindles.

Phil refers to 'Paste Polishing 1A' my tub is Paste Polishing No 5 and is Greygate stuff; that has its uses but won't buff deep damage out.

Pip
Old 9th Jul 2022, 6:11 pm   #22
Phil__G
Octode

I think its my failing memory, "Paste Polishing No 5" does ring a bell
Old 9th Jul 2022, 7:48 pm   #23
pip5678
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil__G View Post
I think its my failing memory, "Paste Polishing No 5" does ring a bell
You may be right, I also have a tube too that is No 5. I remember when I was a young engineer cleaning the jack plugs on the manual board with the polish under the scrutiny of the supervisor making sure I didn't spend too much time chatting with the telephonists. Happy days!

Pip
Closed Thread