UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2022, 6:47 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default A trick with 'new' paint-stripper.

The alcohol-based paint-stripper we're now allowed to play with seems to have a problem in that it is slow-acting on some kinds of enamel, and the active ingredient evaporates away, leaving a gel that doesn't do anything.

My answer to this - having failed to strip the paint off the diecast base of my Pye 'Tulip' microphone, was to slather the thing again with stripper then put it inside a polythene food-grade 'freezer-bag' and leave it for a few days. The bag stops the active component of the stripper from evaporating away.

It wotked. I'd suggest _not_ using any sort of 'recycled/biodegradeable plastic' bag for this, if only because you don't know precisely what the plastic is and you could find the stripper digests it just as effectively as it digests the paint!
Old 6th Jul 2022, 8:09 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: A trick with 'new' paint-stripper.

On the "Repair Shop", when using paint stripper to dissolve old adhesives, they wrap the item in foil, but a sealed bag of a material that withstands the stripper, as above, sounds as though it should be more effective in preventing evaporation.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 9:24 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Some of the alcohol (or other solvent) will permeate the plastic, but not the foil. A metal box or glass container with lids would be the ideal route.

B
Old 6th Jul 2022, 9:37 pm   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Methylene chloride, the active ingredient in good old paint stripper, was banned for general public sale (thanks EU). You can only get it now if you are a certified professional.

Same as creosote.

In fairness, I chemically burnt my hands with Methylene Chloride Nitromors, and my hands stunk of creosote for days when painting a fence in the mid 80's.

Craig
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:04 pm   #5
joebog1
Banned

At least the white ants didnt eat your hands Craig

Joe
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:25 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

You can buy Methylene Chloride in small (57ml) bottles from shops that sell plastic model kits, under the name "Plastic Weld". Google " EMA Model Supplies Ltd". They don't ask if you are a professional. It is available on-line from them in larger bottles. It is excellent for making jigs etc. from polystyrene sheet, rod and girder sections. It dissolves the plastic allowing it to fuse into a solid mass without the residue you can get with adhesives.

Last edited by emeritus; 6th Jul 2022 at 11:28 pm. Reason: typos
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:35 pm   #7
kellys_eye
Octode

You can also get real creosote without any issues.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:58 pm   #8
fetteler
Octode

Wrapping the object to be stripped is a good trick and one which I have used many times over the years.
My favourite paint stripper has no alcohol or other volatiles but it does need to be kept from drying out in order to have time to work properly. Cling film is my go to thing for this and it works very well.

Steve.