UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2022, 9:48 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Ekco AC 86 back cover print

Having made several back covers I thought it would be nice to replicate the logo ,this sort of thing is beyond me ,anyone able to do it ,I may have four for sale when done, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0007 (3).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	258287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0008 (6).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	258288  
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 2:59 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco AC 86 back cover print

Wow - excellent job on creating the backs Mick, so really well done on that.

To create a label a legible scan of an original would be needed, so hopefully, someone will be able to come up with one. The problem of finding a good example online is that in the rear view of most pics of vintage radios, the backs are removed (or in some instances, non-existent). The only example of an Ekco AC86 back that I can find is at this link, and it's not sufficiently legible to be able to either copy or use as an example to re-create a label from scratch. (From that image, it looks like a circular paper label stuck on, rather than for example screen printed directly onto the back):

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ekco_ac86_ac_86_1.html#

The challenge of creating a faithful replica completely from scratch is to identify the original font, or to select a font which would be a good match, and to create the stylised Ekco logo. Of course, it doesn't need to be exact in every last detail - few would be so expert as to spot any slight variations.

You'll note that the print is white and the background is brown.

Some will say 'you can't print white on a domestic printer', but that isn't quite so. Using a program such as MS 'Paint' it's a simple matter to create the text in the desired shade of brown on a white background, then use the 'invert colour' option, which will change the text to white and the background to brown. I mentioned that technique in this forum thread back in 2017:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=140562

I've attached an example of replica back and label for a Little Maestro I created, firstly with brown text of a white background, then I inverted to colour to make the text white and the background brown.

Whereas that was on a a 'basket case' Little Maestro of no particular note or value which came 'off the pile' to restore. The AC86 is rather more collectible so deserves a good quality label as authentic as possible. My own CAD skills are rather limited and I don't possess the expertise to for example create a stylised Ekco logo which is called for, but I hope these comments might at least inspire someone rather further up the CAD 'food chain' to take on the task.

Good luck in your quest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Label white letters on brown background.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	258306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Maestro - Old and new backs.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	258307  
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 4:27 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi David thanks for your positive comments . the original print looks like silver, screen printing comes to mind ,never done it .Mick
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 7:33 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

OK Mick.

Looking at the image on the Radiomuseum example, it looked like a circular label with white or off-white text, but of course seeing an actual back might well portray a different image altogether. If you want the image to look as authentic as can be, if it was originally screen printed, that option would be open, but if done commercially, the cost of preparing the screen for just a few prints would I think, be prohibitive, albeit it will only be a monotone print. DIY screen printing is an option, but again, there are set-up costs, and ink, screens and other materials aren't cheap. It also takes us into unchartered waters, away from our core skills.

This company supplies materials for home screen printing, and has instructive videos to watch here:

https://www.art2silkscreen.co.uk/?gc...SAAEgLLkfD_BwE

If - after exploring the options - you concluded that a paper label was a reasonable compromise, you could choose a light grey colour for the test which, to the eye, approximates to silver, and a brown background to match the back panel. I'm not suggesting the the quick example below has the right shades, but it illustrates what I mean.

Whatever medium is chosen, the first step of course is the artwork.

I hope that's food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ekco Text on Brown Background.png
Views:	54
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	258327  
Old 4th Jun 2022, 12:45 am   #5
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Here's a clear pic of the wording and it does appear to have been screen printed, possibly with some graphic artistry, it could be manipulated to the right perspective to be used directly.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...99.40.1-3).jpg

Edit: OK, this is the SW 86 but still maybe useful.
Old 4th Jun 2022, 11:00 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That's useful Terry.

Apart from the fact that the AC86 is Long & Medium Wave rather than Short and Medium, all of the relevant test is there, as is the logo, and it give a clue as to the font style. Everything that anyone who has the CAD skills to create the artwork.

I've tidied up the logo a bit which would be a basis for anyone with better CAD skills to build on.

As to the text, fonts come into an out of fashion. The AC86 went on the market in 1935, so is 87 years old, and the font might well pre-date it. There are several font recognition sites on the net which will attempt to identify a font and suggest alternatives. I've uploaded a sample of text to 'WhatTheFont'. It doesn't identify the actual font but suggests a few similar ones. (They're not free by the way).

https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/result

The AC86 is quite a commonplace radio, which I'd have thought quite a few forum members would have in their collections, (probably half of them missing their backs!) so hopefully someone will be able to upload a good scan as a starting point. Mick's mastered the most important task, which was to create a superb replica back - the label is the icing on the cake, so to speak, and needs to be top notch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC86 Ekco Logo.png
Views:	47
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	258345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco Font Options.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	258346  
Old 4th Jun 2022, 12:11 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I don't want to wear out my welcome on this thread but I've just happened across an AC86 back panel label image, which I've attached. Notably, unlike the SW86 in Terry's post, though the logo is the same, the text is a sans serif one, so would be much easier to match, and hence, to replicate.

I'll get mi coat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ekco AC86  Label Type 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	258353  
Old 4th Jun 2022, 2:07 pm   #8
steve102
Pentode

This is a picture of the back cover on my AC86. If it’s any use to you I can try to get a better image by scanning it on my flatbed scanner.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4424A8D6-5AA9-4744-B0C5-544F99F07E38.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	258362  
Old 4th Jun 2022, 4:41 pm   #9
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve102 View Post
This is a picture of the back cover on my AC86. If it’s any use to you I can try to get a better image by scanning it on my flatbed scanner.

Steve
A scan of that would make a really good basis for a decent label. If you could scan at 300 dpi (at least) and save as a PDF file so it can be posted here someone will be to able to provide something useful. I'll have a go but am no expert.

Alan
Old 4th Jun 2022, 5:43 pm   #10
vinrads
Dekatron

Many thanks David ,Steve ,Terry and Alan for your suggestions , Steve the print on yours looks allot better than mine , see what you can do reg scanning , much appreciated Mick.
Old 5th Jun 2022, 1:25 pm   #11
steve102
Pentode

Here are the scans from my AC86 and good luck with your back cover replication.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	258431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	258432  
Old 5th Jun 2022, 4:30 pm   #12
vinrads
Dekatron

Thanks Steve ,I now to talk to a Nephew regarding getting a scan for a stencil. Mick.
Old 5th Jun 2022, 7:07 pm   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'd make a sticker with a black background and silver font. I've seen that approach used on commercial sets. It all depends on how successful the stencil approach is I suppose.
Old 6th Jun 2022, 9:58 am   #14
ajgriff
Nonode

That's an excellent scan but I'd need an image at a much higher resolution than the standard forum image display software allows. Doesn't look like Mick is going down the sticky label route anyway.

Alan
Closed Thread