UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2022, 6:50 pm   #1
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Anglow of Norwich

Has anyone else come across any products of this I expect fairly short-lived enterprise? I hadn't until yesterday morning when this thermostatically controlled convector heater caught my eye on my way round a portion of Fakenham's community yard sale. We're not short of electric heaters, but I might well have decided there was a place for it even without the factor of its local origin. Google returns nothing on the company beyond a very small ad. from Grace's Guide - "Manufacturers of Domestic Electrical Appliances, Electric Fires, Heaters, Bathroom Fittings, Insert Fires and Water Heaters" - and an old eBay listing of what appears to be the same model as this one in a different hue, blue rather than teal. Grace's Guide dates the ad. as 1950, the heater looks more early '60s to me - though I probably was thinking 1950s before the surprise of the metal foil rating label on the back.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anglow1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	257288   Click image for larger version

Name:	anglow2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	257289   Click image for larger version

Name:	anglow3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	257290  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 16th May 2022 at 7:01 pm.
Old 19th May 2022, 3:31 am   #2
majoconz
Heptode

Default Re: Anglow of Norwich

I'm sure I had a heater just like that in my bedroom in the mid 50's, although I think mine was a bit more blue than green - perhaps it's just the colour rendition. We lived in Braintree, Essex where it could get pretty cold in mid-winter - even having ice patterns on the inside of the windows. Does your heater have a red lamp inside - made you feel warm even if you weren't!
Old 19th May 2022, 11:25 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The only one (and the only Anglow product) I could find online looks distinctly blue -

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...a-Portable.jpg -

so I expect the colours are different, this one's decidedly somewhere between blue and green. There's no lamp inside mine, just the front panel neon which is switched by the thermostat. Winters (without inviting a climate change discussion!) just aren't what they were, I lived a couple of miles from here in my '60s childhood and clearly remember too Jack Frost's icy patterns inside the bedroom window: nothing of the sort now in our unheated and single glazed bedroom, even frost outside is a rare event.

The heating coil is strung between frames that look somewhat asbestossy but probably stable. I'll take the mesh base off for a good view and clean out before long, not something to be done very often as it's secured in place just by four bent aluminium tabs which might not survive being bent and unbent very many times.
Old 19th May 2022, 6:19 pm   #4
Brigham
Octode

"...it's secured in place just by four bent aluminium tabs which might not survive being bent and unbent very many times."

Not to Belling's standard, then?
Old 19th May 2022, 6:47 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Well, I suppose it's an improvement on the earliest Belling Champions which were released without any sort of guard underneath!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...3&postcount=14
Old 19th May 2022, 8:11 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

the similar-looking Morphy Richards heaters had a red bulb in that lit up the floor a bit. We had three, none of the bulbs worked!

I wonder if 'Anglow' were set up, owned or staffed by any ex-Heatrae people, as they made fires before getting into water heaters, and were I believe a major employer in Norwich.