UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2020, 3:52 pm   #1
Bomber county
Pentode

Default Fluke 87 recalibration

My trusty meter has thrown a wobbly, its showing negative voltages with positive voltage going to it. Ammeter just doesn't read anything like it should, capacitance test doesn't seem to work correctly. I have had it for years and it wasn't new then (Ex MoD). Has anyone sent one back to the manufacturer to be sorted out? am I right in thinking they have a lifetime warranty and they'll fix and recalibrate it for free or have I been mislead....
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:15 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Fluke 87 recalibration

the fluke 87 offered in the current RS catalogue boasts lifetime warranty.

from fluke website:

Quote:
Warranties
Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty

Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products manufactured after October 1996). The warranty does not cover manuals, fuses, disposable batteries, damage from neglect, misuse, contamination, alteration, accident or abnormal conditions of operation or handling, including failures caused by use outside of the product's specifications, or normal wear and tear of mechanical components. This warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable. This warranty covers the LCD for 10 years only (state-of-the-art for LCDs).
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 6:48 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

"This warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable."

No chance with an ex-MOD meter then.

Alan
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:23 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

There’s absolutely zero chance they will honour it anyway. Head over to eevblog forum and post a repair thread in there if you can. There are lots of people who have refurbed 87 series. I’ve done one myself but alas I don’t know what this issue is.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 10:33 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

Cleaning the switch contacts on elderly Fluke meters is always worth a try and only takes a few minutes. Dirty contacts can cause a variety of strange faults.

Alan
Old 24th Sep 2020, 10:31 am   #6
Bomber county
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Cleaning the switch contacts on elderly Fluke meters is always worth a try and only takes a few minutes. Dirty contacts can cause a variety of strange faults.

Alan
I'll give that a go, its had a tough life....
Old 24th Sep 2020, 6:54 pm   #7
Outrun_uk
Heptode

If you have no joy I can take a look for you. PM me if required!

Cheers,

Kev
Old 25th Sep 2020, 4:03 pm   #8
Bomber county
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
If you have no joy I can take a look for you. PM me if required!

Cheers,

Kev
I tried cleaning it out with contact cleaner and a fresh tested battery but still no better so I might take you up on your offer. The display is still good so I would have thought its worth at least trying to save it. None of the plastic parts have a date stamp I can see so I guess its getting on a bit.
Closed Thread