UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 9th Mar 2024, 5:30 pm   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Realistic CTR-75 cassette player/recorder

It is possible that I have put this in the wrong place because of the age of the machine. If so, could the mods please move it to a more appropriate place, please?

I have a Realistic CTR-75 voice-actuated cassette tape recorder which may have seen better days. There were other versions, apparently using the same movement and labelled with the Tandy, RadioShack or other producers' titles. On opening it up, I have found that it (probably) has three drive-bands. I have looked at the main band, which is the easiest to remove and has a square cross-section, and found that a few years of sitting idle have given this rubber belt a tight-ish bend which I can't straighten out easily. This makes it difficult to find a suitable replacement. I have looked at the selection that Cricklewood Electronics offer and I am none too sure of whether any of them would be suitable. It is possible to remove an upper circuit-board to access the other drive-band (and possibly the third one, too), but I haven't yet done that as some three really small cross-head screws will need to be removed.

If anyone has an idea of what sort of drive-belts are needed and possibly a source (other than the US, as imports tend to attract ridiculous postal charges) then I would be most pleased to get this machine back to a working state.

Thanks in anticipation,
Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2024, 11:18 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Realistic CTR-75 cassette player/recorder

Just get a mixed pack of square section belts off ebay.
Old 12th Mar 2024, 1:46 pm   #3
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Just get a mixed pack of square section belts off ebay.
Thanks, Ben. That wasn't an option that I'd considered, but now I've tried it and will see what results. It's certainly much cheaper than other ideas!
Colin.
Old 29th Mar 2024, 12:15 pm   #4
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Thank you for the suggestion, Ben. I found an individual on eBay who offered a pack of several belts at a much cheaper price than I could have found anywhere else. After a bit of fiddling to get at the lower belt and then some more fiddling to find an upper belt that was short enough to get rid of the initial "wow and flutter", I got one to do exactly what I wanted. Again, thanks.
Colin.
Old 1st Apr 2024, 10:29 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Don't mention it, glad it is running again!