UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2021, 5:16 pm   #1
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Default Creda Tumble Dryer question.

I've become the owner of a Creda tumble dryer.

My neighbour recently moved house and doesn't have room for two separate laundry appliances in her new kitchen. So she's treated herself to a fancy new Hoover wifi connected washer dryer - which I can't see the point of, personally!

Anyway, I've got her old Creda Simplicity dryer.

I've never ever had a tumble dryer before, but I know how they work. Unfortunately, she couldn't find the instruction manual, so I don't know what the spoked disc is meant to do.

I found it behind the vent 'cap' on the front of the machine.

It had been 'permanently plumbed' into a vent through the wall from the back.

There are two choices of vent exit - front and back.

But! What's it for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20211126_14_11_41_Pro_LI (2).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	246675   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20211126_14_12_37_Pro_LI (2).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	246676  

Peter.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 5:53 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Creda Tumble Dryer question.

There should be a blanking plate that sometimes presses into the spoked bit you show. Also the hose adapter often presses into the same bit.
I think there is another type of hose that fits directly without that part.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 5:54 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

We have a Creda Debonair Reversair and it's got one of those too. I've dug out the instruction manual and it describes it as the 'front venting adaptor'. It seems the original vent hose had a connection which clicked into this 'spoked moulding' although now I come to look at it it isn't clear why this is needed at the front but not the rear.

We bought the dryer new on March 8th 1986. It was expensive - £122.99 inc VAT, and the hose cost extra. 35 years later we're still using it though (it's had at least one new belt) so I guess I can't complain .

I could copy the manual for you - it claims to cover all their 4kg dryers - but I'm going away for the weekend literally in a few minutes. If you're interested then drop me a PM and I'll get round to it when I return.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 26th Nov 2021, 7:48 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

if you use it front vented then you fit the blanking plate to the port at the rear, and then either leave the spokes on the port at the front to vent damp air into the room or else plug your optional hose into the spokes and dangle it out of the window. If you are rear venting then the blanking plate pushes into the spokes at the front and the hose goes straight onto the back.
If front venting then you just twist the hose on and off together with the spokes no doubt to avoid wear and tear on the little plastic springy castellations.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 2:32 pm   #5
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thank you for all of your informative replies. They're much appreciated.

Another question, if I may?

The total rating of the dryer is 2500 watts. Now, assuming that the motor/fan probably consumes about 500 of those watts, I'm thinking that the actual heating elements will be rated at 2 kilowatts.

There's a button to select High or Low Heat, so is it reasonable to assume that, when on Low Heat, half of the elements are not energised, and the power consumption of the heater is reduced to only 1 kilowatt?

Or is it not as straightforward as that?

Peter.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 2:50 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

On Low it might run the two elements in series.
An ohmmeter on the mains plug will reveal all.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:05 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
On Low it might run the two elements in series.
An ohmmeter on the mains plug will reveal all.
That will only work with the motor cable disconnected.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:09 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

But even when the motor is in parallel with the heat elements you can calculate the change in resistance between high and low settings as a simple series / parallel network and come to a quick solution.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:11 pm   #9
Lancs Lad
Heptode

There is an arrangement of three coiled elements in the machine, which is why I was wondering how half of them could somehow be 'switched off' on Low heat.

Peter.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:47 pm   #10

Quote:
Creda Simplicity
I like the name, just twiddle a knob and it works!
Quote:
Hoover wifi connected washer dryer
errrr, why? You have to put the washing in and are therefore next to the controls, assuming it has any. A wifi chip is probably cheaper than even one mechanical push button these days though.

Old 27th Nov 2021, 4:15 pm   #11
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I honestly don't know, merlin maxwell!

Considering that her kitchen is about ten feet away from her living room, which, being slightly disabled, is where she spends the majority of her time, I can't imagine that she will ever bother to control the machine from her phone or her computer.

I really don't understand why things like kettles, toasters, washing machines and fridges need to be wifi controlled.

I mean, although you can switch them on remotely, they all need an actual living person to be there at some point to deal with them.

Yes, I can understand remotely-controlled central heating, that can be switched on when you are setting off home from work (although a simple timeswitch has always worked for me!) and maybe lighting for security purposes - but all the rest seems like unnecessary gadgetry for gadgetry's sake to me.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 27th Nov 2021 at 4:16 pm. Reason: Amending punctuation.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 6:10 pm   #12
duncanlowe
Nonode

With the WiFi connectivity, someone thinks its a selling point.

Our tumble dryer has it. Can't see any point though I am able to monitor how long it's got to run until finish. I suppose if I wanted to, I could be out, and only switch it on when there's enough spare solar? It does also give, I suppose, the possibility (alluding to another thread) for the manufacturer to remotely run diagnostics. Except of course the wifi module will probably be the first to fall over! The drier was bought for it's other features, and performance. Not WiFi.

Likewise the oven. Also has WiFi. I've used it once where I needed to turn the temperature down after a given period. It's almost as easy to get up and go and do it! Again, bought not because it has WiFi, it happened to have this.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 8:53 pm   #13
hamid_1
Heptode

If you've had a 'smart' electricity meter installed at your house, it's easy to see the power consumption of your tumble dryer. The smart meter comes with a display that can show you how much power your house is using right now. Simply switch on the tumble dryer and see how much the consumption figure increases by. You can also flick the low / high switch while it's running and see the effect on the power usage. The smart meter will also show the cost per hour, too. If it uses 2.5Kw, it will cost about 50p per hour to run, based on a standard electricity tariff of around 20p per unit.

If you don't have a smart meter or want to monitor an individual appliance, you can buy plug-in electricity usage meters (sometimes called Energy Monitors). These have a display that shows how much power is being used by whatever is plugged into the unit. They also count the cumulative number of KWh used by the appliance, which is great for things that operate intermittently (e.g. fridges which are thermostatically-controlled.) You can then work out the exact running cost.

There are actually several different ways that a low/high power switch could work. It could switch on one or two separate elements, or short-circuit part of an element to increase power, or short-circuit a diode added in series with the load (I've seen that method used in hairdryers).
Old 27th Nov 2021, 9:59 pm   #14
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thank you, GrimJosef, for your reply about your Reversair.

It sounds about the same vintage as my model.

When I took delivery of it, naturally the first thing I did was get my screwdriver and take it apart!

You wouldn't believe the amount of lint and fluff I extracted from that machine! I mean - twenty year's worth!

But not one bit of it was anywhere near the elements. That's testament to not being a fire risk, isn't it?

Peter.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 10:39 am   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Be on the safe side and never leave old laundry equipment operating unattended. J.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 12:14 pm   #16
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Oh, I know, Heatercathodeshort!

I'm very cautious about electrical appliances being left working or even plugged in overnight.

I would never put the washing machine or dryer on and then just go to bed. That's just asking for trouble, isn't it?

Peter.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 3:01 pm   #17
JonSnell
Hexode

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/33...ble-Dryer.html
Hope that helps.
If not exactly your model number just use google. Type into your search box; Creda 'model number' instructions.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 3:37 pm   #18
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Be on the safe side and never leave old laundry equipment operating unattended. J.
Quite so. Our White Knight tumble dryer's mechanical timer sometimes sticks, meaning it can be going for hours.

Aub
Old 28th Nov 2021, 8:32 pm   #19
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
It sounds about the same vintage as my model.
Yours will be a late 90's model
Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:12 pm   #20
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thanks again, everyone

This is why I love UKVRRR.

Just sensible, considered answers - without any guff.

Peter.
Closed Thread