UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2020, 7:29 pm   #101
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: Favourite Radio Stations past and present.

Past would be Luxembourg at night and Junior Choice (Radio2?) and when I went to my grandparents Metro radio on one of these ...

And present would be local radio, Radio 4 (on MW), classic FM and Planet Rock the best thing about DAB.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benkson 7.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	198934  
Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:33 pm   #102
ITAM805
Nonode

Quote:
Regarding 'Sing Something Simple', I'm fairly convinced it used to be on at 4.30pm on a Sunday afternoon, at least in the 1980s
It was definitely an evening slot in the 60's - see here

As has been said, it was aimed at an older generation than the likes of most of us who were teens in the 60's. The times they were a changing back then, in a radical way musically, so poor old SSS didn't stand much of a chance, well for most of us !
Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:48 pm   #103
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

"Round the Horne" was about the only must-listen show for my generation on the old Home Service - the Julian and Sandy 'Polari' innuendo-riddled scripts fuelled a strange schoolboy-derivative language [also incorporating aspects of 'Dog-Latin'].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_and_Sandy

Even back then the true nature of Julian&Sandy's argot was well-understood by almost everyone - I wonder how they ever managed to get the scripts past the upper echelons of the Home Service Good-Taste Police??
Old 14th Feb 2020, 7:20 pm   #104
emeritus
Dekatron

When this point was raised some years ago in a radio programme about "Round the Horne" and "Beyond our Ken", a possible reason given was the prominence of Kenneth Horne. He was considered to be a respectable establishment figure whose judgement was trusted.
Old 14th Feb 2020, 7:49 pm   #105
paulsherwin

There was still a strong music hall influence on BBC popular output in the 70s (and not only on the BBC, to be fair). Billy Cotton was hugely influential, and he was very much an old style 'variety' man. BBC comedy had to have a musical interlude well into the 80s - remember Motorhead and Pigbag playing in the 'front room' in The Young Ones for no obvious reason? Comedies like The Good Life got away with it because they were classed as drama serials, not 'variety'.
Old 14th Feb 2020, 9:18 pm   #106
Nymrod121
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
"Round the Horne" was about the only must-listen show for my generation on the old Home Service - the Julian and Sandy 'Polari' innuendo-riddled scripts fuelled a strange schoolboy-derivative language [also incorporating aspects of 'Dog-Latin'].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_and_Sandy

Even back then the true nature of Julian&Sandy's argot was well-understood by almost everyone - I wonder how they ever managed to get the scripts past the upper echelons of the Home Service Good-Taste Police??

One of my favourite radio shows - to which I listened "many times ... many, many times"

I loved the character names - Dame Celia Molestrangler, Binky Huckaback ... and of course Kenneth Williams as Doctor Chou M. Ginsberg, BA (Calcutta) (failed):

(K.H.): "You're mad, Ginsberg, completely mad!"
(K.W.): I'm not mad! I'm not mad! ... (well - maybe a bit irritable first thing in the morning - but not mad?)"

The most memorable character name of all - and which still reduces me to a fit of the chortles when I recall it: "The Reverend Unseemly Horseposture"

Guy
Old 14th Feb 2020, 9:39 pm   #107
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'm the happy owner of a vintage copy of the BBC Variety Programmes Policy Guide, a gem of a volume outlining the standards to be observed : "'When in doubt, leave it out' is the wisest maxim".

"Well-known vulgar jokes (e.g. the Brass Monkey) 'cleaned up', are not normally admissible since the humour in such cases is almost invariably evident only if the vulgar version is known."

"There is an absolute ban upon the following:_...
Suggestive references to -
Fig leaves
Ladies' underwear, e.g. winter draws on
Animal habits, e.g. rabbits
Lodgers
Commercial travellers..."

"Extreme care should be taken in dealing with references to or jokes about-
Pre-natal influences (e.g. 'His mother was frightened by a donkey')"

"American idiom and slang, for instance, frequently find their way quite inappropriately into scripts, and dance-band singers for the most part elect to adopt pseudo-American accents. The BBC believes that this spurious Americanisation of programmes - whether in the writing or the interpretation - is unwelcome to the great majority of listeners and, incidentally, seldom complimentary to the Americans."

"The jazzing by dance bands of classical tunes or the borrowing and adaptation of them is normally unacceptable".

"Avoid any reference to 'The MacGillicuddy of the Reeks'..."

"Jokes like 'enough to make a Maltese Cross' are of doubtful value".

And so on, together with a prohibition on derogatory references to Bakelite, Nylon or Spam, and a list of the seven living artists who had notified the Corporation that they must not be impersonated on air without their prior permission. Presumably there's a, rather different, little booklet in current circulation still aiming to maintain "a standard that will be acceptable by most rational people".

Paul
Old 14th Feb 2020, 10:24 pm   #108
Croozer
Pentode

I know its maybe not fashionable to say in a world when teenagers traditonally enjoy wall to wall music but the BBC's Radio Scotland has been the cornerstone of my listening throughout my life. I can only just remeber it getting its own identity and separating from R4 in 1977 (i was 5) but it has been there, rock solid and dependable in the middle of the dial at 370m MW (retune to VHF to avoid sport!). Every day started -and still does -with Good Morning Scotland (which predates R4's 'Today' programme).

I did listen to night time Luxy (Great on 208!) and the fading crackles of Radio Forth (194 stays close to you all day) but its somehow reassuring to know that even at the extremes of the country, if you wait until dark, you can usually hear the 10pm news, however faint, just as its been since the Westerglen TX was built 1932; its even been on the same place on the dial (allowing a minor 20m creep in 1948).

Living heritage. Long may it continue!
Old 14th Feb 2020, 10:50 pm   #109
ITAM805
Nonode

Round the Horne, still funny after all these years - Rambling Syd Rumpo
Old 21st Feb 2020, 5:36 pm   #110
telstar
Octode

Was it Keith Fordyce that had the show where the BBC featured the hourly pop music that we were "allowed"?
I do remember hearing The Shadows, Cliff Richard, Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, Karl Denver and others on a morning show on the Light Programme around 1961/62 time. Shame that I still can not trace the unknown instrumental that I was trying to find earlier
Old 21st Feb 2020, 11:29 pm   #111
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I remember Keith Fordyce having various programs on the Light program, later on Radio 2, so you could be right, telstar. Slightly OT, but I briefly met Keith many years ago, when he owned a museum at Barton Pines near Torquay in Devon.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 1:41 am   #112
Station X

"Saturday Club?"

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 2:16 am   #113
emeritus
Dekatron

AFAIR Saturday Club was compered by " your old mate Brian Matthews" when I used to listen to it, but it was a long time ago. I have mislaid my cassette of "The Beatles at the BBC" that the BBC issed some years ago of some of their sessions but I think some of them were from Saturday Club appearances.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Feb 2020 at 2:26 am.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 2:27 am   #114
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Perhaps you should be watching yet another repeat of Rock'n Roll Britannia [on BBC4 at the moment] quite a number of technical shots and they read from the BBC policy "Guide" Paul [post 107*]

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Feb 2020 at 2:32 am.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 5:37 am   #115
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Some of those recordings could have been from 'Easy Beat', which went out on the Light Programme on Sunday Mornings, also compered by Briam Matthew, IIRC.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 3:11 pm   #116
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.

I remember switching between radio Caroline North anchored off the Isle of Man and Radio Scotland. I live in Northern Ireland. I also listened to Luxy of course and I also was involved in aligning tranistor radios for the chaps at my school, mainly used to listen to the cricket during the lunch break. As for my radio listening during the day, from early days Listen with Mother and as I grew older I got into Children's Choice and Saturday club. Of course Sunday 4 pm with Fluff and yes the tape recorder with the remote on off switch on a lead wrapped around my chair leg while we ate our Sunday tea, ready to switch the recorder on when certain records were played. My uncle introduced me to the music of James Last and Bert Keampfert which were useful as background music.

Dave
Closed Thread