UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2019, 6:53 pm   #1
buggies
Heptode

Default Old computer mags - scanning?

I have re-cycled a couple of shelves of old computer magazines after first checking that each issue was available on the internet as a pdf file.

I am left with 3 dozen early issues which I have not located on the internet.
Does anyone know of anybody actively scanning these - a couple of sites seemed to start but then tailed off.
I could sell them individually on Ebay but would much prefer them to be scanned and made generally available.
List in the attached pdf file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf compmags.pdf (9.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 16th Aug 2019, 6:59 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Old computer mags - scanning?

Some years ago the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park acquired several boxfuls of computer magazines from me for the purpose of scanning them. I don't know whether they did so nor whether they are still building such an archive, but it may be worth contacting them.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 9:06 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Likewse the Centre For Computing History (Cambridge) may also be interested as I do know they have a collection of old publications. Unfortunately this and the other museum mentioned are some distance from you.

Agree that it would be better, if possible, to scan them and put them online so they are available to all.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 1:55 pm   #4
NealCrook
Tetrode

When in a similar situation (about 40 1980s Electronics Today International magazines) I shipped them to the owner of https://www.americanradiohistory.com

UK->US shipping was pricey but it was better than leaving them in a pile and "never getting around to" scanning them. Also, I was concerned that, as time goes by, there is a decreasing chance that other copies exist.

My main motivation was that americanradiohistory already had a great collection of this magazine and my contribution filled in some gaps.

Neal.
Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:15 am   #5
Station X

americanradiohistory has a UK representative who scans mags for the site. Saves on postage.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Aug 2019, 2:39 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

PM sent about making contact with this person.
Old 19th Aug 2019, 6:02 pm   #7
buggies
Heptode

Thanks for the suggestions - sorry for delay in replying.
I looked at all three sites:-

National Museum of Computing
They don't let us plebs view any magazines -
"The Archive is open to bona fide researchers
Casual visitors to the museum can glimpse the world of computing 25 and 40 years ago through a changing display of back copies of Computer Weekly."

Centre For Computing History
Have all the issues in my list - but you can only view the covers of the magazines!

AmericanRadioHistory.Com
Do not appear to have the magazine issues so i sent them an email yesterday including my list.
Old 19th Aug 2019, 8:23 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
National Museum of Computing
They don't let us plebs view any magazines -
"The Archive is open to bona fide researchers
Casual visitors to the museum can glimpse the world of computing 25 and 40 years ago through a changing display of back copies of Computer Weekly."
I'm sorry to hear that things appear to have gone downhill since I was last there, when magazines were on view on shelves and I (a mere "pleb") was able to flick through them - which was how I established they had gaps I was able to fill. I shall refrain from further comment.
Old 19th Aug 2019, 11:09 pm   #9
andrewferguson
Hexode

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this. A few years ago I bought around 300 computer magazines from the late 70s for the grand price of 1p ... and about £20 in postage. I knew that copies were stored in several museums, but not viewable to the public. So I took a week and just "scanned" every page (I actually photographed, these were large - larger than A3 - and I didn't have a suitable scanner).

Satisfied I had a digital copy, I ended up donating them to the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge. I now have the interesting problem of how to "clean up" these digital files into a presentable form: cropping and de-skewing, extracting images, OCR-ing the text, etc... Being a perfectionist is not always helpful.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless you're interested to do the scanning / digitization yourself for the reason that you enjoy doing so, it is probably best seeking out someone who does. I don't want to discourage you from doing so, and the process of identifying the issues that aren't already available is tremendously helpful, but there is quite a lot of work ahead! (Or 'fun' if you're me...)
Old 19th Aug 2019, 11:20 pm   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Regarding the Centre For Computing History (Cambridge), although their collection isn't online I gather that anyone can request a copy of a specific article from publications they hold, on condition that you sign a form agreeing that the material is for your own use only and will not be shared (online, for example). I assume this is because they don't wan't to incur the wrath of rights holders.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 7:04 pm   #11
buggies
Heptode

Thanks for the further comments.
I can understand both museums having to be careful with items in their care where others still own copyright. In the absence of a local collection I can only make use of what is published on web sites.

I had a quick reply from the American Radio History people who have a backlog of items being scanned, including the majority of my list.
Two issues they are missing are now ready for posting to them.

I only have a simple old Epson flatbed scanner which is far too slow to even do one magazine so I would not consider scanning more than a couple of pages of a single article.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 10:49 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
I only have a simple old Epson flatbed scanner which is far too slow to even do one magazine so I would not consider scanning more than a couple of pages of a single article.
I am in a similar position, albeit with an HP. The Hobbies magazines I scanned and passed to Americanradiohistory were very much a one-off as the exercise was extremely laborious.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 6:19 pm   #13
buggies
Heptode

I found their page on the equipment and software used for scanning interesting - especially the bound book device (about halfway down the page)
https://www.americanradiohistory.com...io-History.htm
Old 27th Sep 2019, 1:44 pm   #14
whyperion
Hexode

https://www.45worlds.com/magazine/

If you have cover, index,editors view column and rear scans would be great if these at least could be added to the user database. One problem with Computer Magazines I found was the pace of change of the technology with one issues information fast becoming obsolete.
Old 29th Sep 2019, 3:04 pm   #15
Timbucus
Octode

If you are going to sell off the other copies I would appreciate the opportunity to get PCW Vol 1 Issue 4 Aug 1978... as whyperion says even the contents page uploaded is useful for research. There are several efforts for people to scan and upload to archive.org as well.
Old 29th Sep 2019, 3:20 pm   #16
buggies
Heptode

Hi guys,

After posting the first two magazines, the UK rep decided he also wanted the remainder, so a large parcel was sent. Eventually all should appear as pdfs.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 4:10 pm   #17
NealCrook
Tetrode

Thank you for taking the time, trouble and expense. You have helped to preserve this information. I look forward to seeing these scans online

Neal
(I threw my old practical computing mags away long ago. Boo hoo )
Old 31st Oct 2019, 2:00 pm   #18
Peter G3YJE
Triode

Smile Re: Old computer mags - scanning?

David, sysop of americanradiohistory.com has recently started posting
Personal Computing World and has done 1978 and up to September
of 1979.

He posted :-
"We are avidly building this collection, as computing and the development of radio programming became entwined in the early 80's as computerized programming, commercial scheduling billing and music scheduling rapidly
took over station operations."

Peter
G3YoungJollyEngineer
Closed Thread