UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2010, 1:06 pm   #1
David
Retired Dormant Member

Default EEPROM/EPROM programmer.

Hi does anyone have any experience of copying the eeprom and eprom used in the Philips fm1100 series radios.I used to work for Philips and have the software which enables me to edit a configuration but I do not have a suitable old 386 or 486 computer with the dedicated interface card to program these radios apart from developing the configuration and taking the configuration to my ex workplace on a floppy and using the machine in the workshop.I was thinking of perhaps purchasing a programer which would copy the data in the eeprom and eprom into files so that I can program new proms for club members,but I have no experience of such programmers so I ask for advice before I spend money only to find I have bought an unsuitable device.
Thanks
David.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 6:58 pm   #2
Jack Spark
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: EEPROM/EPROM programmer.

Hi David

What are the PROMs?

Regards

Jack
Old 19th Mar 2010, 7:39 pm   #3
David
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Jack thanks for your reply the eeprom is an 8 pin dip 24c16 and the eprom is
27c512 the eprom in some radios I have are erasable by UV light exposure but others do not have the window on them.Basically if I can program 1 set of proms and copy them at home it is more convenient for me and also I am not getting under the feet of my ex collegues.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 8:01 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

Both devices you mention are standard memory devices and should pose no problems to even the most basic pc-driven programmer. The 27c512 without window is probably going to be an OTP PROM which means you can usually read the code but then you cant alter that chip, you have to burn the code to another new one. The 24C16 is a standard eerom as used in TV tuning memories etc.
Providing you can take the IC in question off the pcb (overheating them can corrupt them) then you just need to fit it in a suitable adapter on the programmer, read it, edit it on-screen if necessary (it will be a hex file) then burn it to a new one.

Most programmers these days are connected to the PC by USB, a few use the printer LPT port, these are usually older machines that will not work on XP, they are DOS/W95/98 only.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:28 pm   #5
Jack Spark
Retired Dormant Member

As they seem to be pretty standard devices, have a look at Willem programmers. The one you'll need has a mains supply - the other USB and LPT powered ones don't program EPROMs correctly.

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...idProduct=3199

This one may do it, drop them a mail and ask.

Good luck and regards

Jack
Old 20th Mar 2010, 12:08 am   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: EEPROM/EPROM programmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
The 27c512 without window is probably going to be an OTP PROM
I'm showing my ignorance here! Could that 'PROM' not be an EEPROM?

Al. / Skywave.
Old 20th Mar 2010, 5:38 am   #7
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Could that 'PROM' not be an EEPROM?
Not if it's a 27C512; a UV-erasable EPROM usually encountered in a ceramic package with a window.

A cheaper version of the same device was available in a plastic package with no window, hence no means by which it can be erased, making it a PROM. (The idea was to use the ceramic ones in R&D until you got the code right, then ship product with the cheap ones in.)

Regards, Kat
Old 20th Mar 2010, 11:00 am   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: EEPROM/EPROM programmer.

Thanks Kat.

Al.
Old 20th Mar 2010, 2:58 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
the other USB and LPT powered ones don't program EPROMs correctly.
True, as I found out to my annoyance once! Despite the literature saying they will handle eproms, it seems that the USB cant supply enough power to burn them properly though EEROMS and micros are fine.

Just one to watch if you're in the market for a programmer!
Old 20th Mar 2010, 5:56 pm   #10
David
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks chaps I have noted your replies and comments.I hope to proceed and increase my knowledge of chip programming.
David
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:40 pm   #11
Red to black
Nonode

Hi, I built My own programmer using ponyprog and the quick and dirty easy I2C programmer on this site http://www.lancos.com/
But I had to use an old 486 B&W laptop with WIN 95 on it, as it used the LPT port.
On the link above there are several different interface designs from which you may find something useful.
I hope this will help you and others.
Cheers,
Baz
Old 28th Apr 2010, 1:30 pm   #12
Red to black
Nonode

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I wanted to add some additional info. for other people.
The "quick and dirty" eeprom programmer I built in my previous post, uses an external Psu regulated by a 7805 device, on mine I added 3X 1N400X diodes in series on the output side of the Reg. and fitted a shorting on/off switch across all 3 diodes to enable them (altogether) to be switched in and out of circuit, this allowed me to be able to programme/copy the 3.3V versions of the 24CXX series of eeproms aswell as the 5V versions.
Mine was built on a piece of Veroboard using bits out of my scrap box, the components/layout are non-critical and it cost nothing .
I hope this is useful info.for anybody else considering going this route.
Cheers,
Baz