UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2010, 1:29 am   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Altair 8800

Just wondered if anybody on here built one of these in 75? It was shown in the middle of "The Virtual Revolution" tonight [BBC2]. Doesn't appear on the favourite computers thread but I suppose it's even older than most of the choices there. I remember seeing it in the electronics mag and wondering why anyone would bother? I suppose you needed the insight at the time!
Dave W
Old 31st Jan 2010, 6:50 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Altair 8800

I had the insight. What I lacked was the cash!

I also saw it advertised and would have loved to have built/owned one, but seem to remember that the cost was somewhat beyond my limited means at the time.

I had a pang of nostalgia when I saw it flash on the screen last night.

edit: I've discovered that someone makes/made the kit available in the 21st century. The cost still is beyond my limited means!

Last edited by Dave Moll; 31st Jan 2010 at 6:57 pm. Reason: discovered website
Old 31st Jan 2010, 11:05 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks Dave. I didn't have cash either but never got to that stage anyway as computers weren't that interesting to me at all [until I heard about this new Internet idea]. Writing code-no interest/ability. Computer games-no thanks.
Probaly accounts for my dismal skills. It's an interesting and surprising series though. Dave W
Old 1st Feb 2010, 5:20 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Part One of The Virtual Revolution is on again tonight BBC2 11-20pm. Dave W
Old 1st Feb 2010, 10:14 pm   #5
evingar
Octode

Interesting programme - It will be interesting to see where it heads in future episodes.

WRT the Altair - I was only 13 at the time, so it was also well beyond by 10P / week pocket money.

WRT the kit, having trouble seeing the justification for spending all that dough. It's not original and it's a wholly useless article as far as practical use is concerned. I can just about see the merit in restoring an original one, but doing so wouldn't be classed as "heaps of fun" in my book - much rather spend my time on something with a valve in it or something I could actually find a real use for - sorry to be a "party pooper" . Takes all kinds I guess
Old 1st Feb 2010, 10:38 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
WRT the kit, having trouble seeing the justification for spending all that dough.
Don't worry - neither would I spend my money on the kit - even if I could afford it. I was just amused to find it while using Google to refresh my memory of the Altair.

I should qualify my earlier comments by saying that it wasn't specifically the Altair 8800 after which I hankered at the time. Knowing that I could never own one of the (at least) seven-figure mainframe computers on which I worked (even if had had the space for one), I immediately took an interest when home computers started to be advertised, as I loved the idea of actually owning a computer.

In the end the market and I met when I parted with £400 for a BBC Micro. But that, as they say, is another story - and would be off-topic to expand upon here.
Old 1st Feb 2010, 11:26 pm   #7
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
In the end the market and I met when I parted with £400 for a BBC Micro. But that, as they say, is another story - and would be off-topic to expand upon here.
Ditto
A more practical machine altogether, even if it did cost 1/4 of my junior trainee understudy engineer / bell boy/ coffee maker annual salary at the time - Just imagine spending that kind of money (pro rata) on a PC now