UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2022, 11:06 pm   #1
DavidMS
Pentode

Default PIC14 problems with inbuilt s/w

Just looking for advice / pointer. My newly built PIC14 works fine (well after I resolved a couple of dry joints). My issue is trying to get the some of the inbuilt s/w to run. some work fine - for instance message and duck hunt but mastermind and moon landing wont play ball. Looking as the moon landing code in the manual and and on the PIC 14 they are clearly different. So I guess my question am I missing something in getting in setting up the relevant page ?

I believe I have the latest version of the hex file loaded into the PIC
Old 29th Nov 2022, 11:35 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: PIC14 problems with inbuilt s/w

I don't know enough about the PIC14 to suggest anything specific about that but what springs to mind about Moon Landing is that it has to be run from address 0F52, and Mastermind has to be run from 0F1C - are those the GO addresses you are using for those programs?
Old 29th Nov 2022, 11:37 pm   #3
DavidMS
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I don't know enough about the PIC14 to suggest anything specific about that but what springs to mind about Moon Landing is that it has to be run from address 0F52, and Mastermind has to be run from 0F1C - are those the GO addresses you are using for those programs?
sadly yes
Old 29th Nov 2022, 11:42 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If the code isn't byte for byte the same as the listing in the manual then sadly it's unlikely to work. Which version of PIC14 firmware are you running which has these programs embedded in it, one of Karen's original versions, or George60's, or...?
Old 30th Nov 2022, 1:27 am   #5
Phil__G
Octode

It sounds like George's PIC14 image, unless I've missed something the original doesnt have 'inbuilt s/w' other than SCIOS, and theres no 'page' to set up
As far as I'm aware, there was only one update from Karen, to fix jumps with offset 80h and the status flags, this update is (as I understand) still the current version (my own edits aside) and the image most PIC14 users have used (Karens does have redundant routines including a program selection but nothing calls it).
I can probably help with Karens implementation but I never tried Georges, its very clever but for me it seemed a step too far from Karens quite realistic emulation of the MK14
David if you could post a link to where you got your PIC14 image we will know for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
... is that it has to be run from address 0F52, and Mastermind has to be run from 0F1C
Its a good idea to include the start address in the hex filename - such as "soc_message_f20.hex" as a reminder

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by Phil__G; 30th Nov 2022 at 1:52 am.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 8:03 am   #6
DavidMS
Pentode

yes it is George's PIC14 image

I am using his updated image - in the second link (PIC-14version update)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...5&postcount=55

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...&postcount=138

I will try to get loaded onto MPLAB to see if I am missing something obvious.

David
Old 30th Nov 2022, 9:00 am   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
include the start address in the hex filename - such as "soc_message_f20.hex" as a reminder
Not only that, but as a general rule the load address AND execution address as well because the load address and execution address are not always the same, as with Moon Landing for example.

Obviously, this applies more to binary files than to Intel Hex which contains load addresses already.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 2:49 pm   #8
DavidMS
Pentode

Loading the .asm file in to MPLAB seems to have scared the PIC14 to work - well run at least run moonlander, not completely sure why as I did not do anything else but suspect the problem maybe bounce on the pushes, however that does not explain why some programs alway seem to load correctly while other take a few attempts
Closed Thread